2021 POTD Thread Archive

With the Christmas break and the ramp up of COVID, I have lots of shop time. I made this outrigger vise stop as detailed by Joe Pieczynski on YouTube. This should come in very handy in the future. I do lose a little Y-axis travel, but I can always remove this quickly if needed.

View attachment 390252

Mounted on my Kurt 4" vise.
View attachment 390253
Quick up and over the top to position odd shaped part for drilling a hole

Attachments

• DSCN8986.JPG
    DSCN8986.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 36
I have an email but due to H-M rules i didn’t want to post that so i didn’t break any rules. @NCjeeper
I’ve run many businesses and would never go without insurance and an LLC.

You can’t control what people will do with your work after it leaves your shop and even if they aren’t the kind to sue you their insurance company will if there’s any injury or loss. They can go after your property if it’s not properly protected.

Consult with a lawyer you trust before opening a business, you might think you’re not in business but if you advertise and take money for work you do you are.

Also, taxes….

YMMV,

John

D1F3A17F-0336-4F88-870A-047C3CEA9A9C.jpeg

After getting power to it… started to do some cleaning… First was removing surface rust and grime…later I will take the time to polish it…

719B4490-9626-41A1-83BC-C6DD781CAA6B.jpeg

…and checking to see if this almond spray paint matches the rest… After cleaning, I want to remove the splash guard on the lathe to repaint it…

98C65169-AC01-4B17-97CF-D5593949F14A.jpeg

Last edited:
Had the last couple weeks off work so I found myself alittle project to make. A revolving tailstock chuck. I had a 3” chuck with both sets of jaws not being used so I figured it would be a good candidate. After setting the compound on the lathe I figured I’d cut acouple mt 3 shanks with different working ends 1”, 1.125,and 1.5 shanks. After cutting on the lathe I set up the surface grinder to grind the mt3 shanks.
The challenging part was keeping the chuck body as short as possible to eliminate overhang and keep it as tight as possible. I’m using some tapered bearing I have a surplus of peer l44643. I ground the endcap that sets the preload on the bearings. One thing I couldnt decipher was how much endplay I should have on this setup. During the build I used oil assembling everything. The chuck has zero endplay after alittle fine tuning of the endcap. My thought was to put a thin coat of light weight grease on bearings for final assembly but idk if it will effect my endplay we will have to wait to find out I guess.
After assembly and installing in the tailstock I was curious of runout. Tenths indicator on chuck body shows 3 tenths. Chucking a .750 shaft in headstock thats 2’ long then chucking in tailstock shows .004 runout. I don’t know if it can get better indexing chuck on backplate but I was happy with it.
Should be a good tool to have in the arsenal time will tell. Next is a large 4”revolving center. 7590B2FF-EB8E-4B31-B8A9-A930A1F8BC71.jpegADF746D6-91FA-4EF3-B427-0D826DA9A14C.jpeg5B554752-3FBF-4F75-AF8F-A8C93E811ABF.jpeg9C9C2818-C9F0-403A-B23B-B0EBA811E145.jpeg

Today i started moving my shop around again since i bought the Hart 36" cabinet. I also stated organizing my endmills into the more permanent home. Then will be organizing drills in a different drawer above reamers in a different box.
image.jpg

Where the endmills are goin.
image.jpg

Where the endmills came from.
image.jpg
That is where my S&D drills will be going.

Back