21-100 locating pin

uralski

Registered
Registered
Do these mills have a locating pin or something in the quill? I have a parts book but it doesn't show one.

I'm not familiar with the 21-100 but if the quill nose is R8, or just about all of the possible collet types except for ER or MT, it should. What type of collet or mandrel is supposed to fit the quill?

I'm not familiar with the 21-100 but if the quill nose is R8, or just about all of the possible collet types except for ER or MT, it should. What type of collet or mandrel is supposed to fit the quill?
It has a R8, but I don't see any sign of one. So I wonder if they don't have enough torque to worry about it.

That I don't know, either. Although I do know that even the little M6-751 collets made for the Atlas 6" lathes have a key. I don't have any R8 collets here to look at but many many years ago, I bought a round-column import mill from Enco to use for machining artificial defects into line pipe in our pull-test facility. Someone managed to shear off the alignment key and I bought a replacement quill. Around the same time, we were bought out by our worst enemy. The new quill never got installed and ended up in my shop. I just looked at it and it definitely has a key. Unfortunately, the odds against it being the same as yours are probably huge.

I have a 21-100 and it does not have a key or pin in the quill. Perhaps it did at one time, but I have never had a problem with the R8 collets slipping.

Back