220 3 phase to 440 3 phase ?

Scruffy

Active User
Registered
I’m thinking of buying a old #5 brown and sharp surface grinder. It’s 440. I have 220 3 phase . Can you use a transformer to go to 440? If so how?
Thanks ron

Thanks u
Ma, that’s what I thought. Hgr. Is only a couple of hours from here so won’t have to pay a bunch of shipping if I buy the sg.
Thanks ron

It's often easier to convert the motors to 240v 3 phase than to get a transformer. Normally it's just rewiring the motor, and either reconfiguring or changing out a much-cheaper control transformer.

It's often easier to convert the motors to 240v 3 phase than to get a transformer. Normally it's just rewiring the motor, and either reconfiguring or changing out a much-cheaper control transformer.

I agree - if the motor windings permit re-configuration - then it is a piece of cake. Changing out a control transformer is also simple enough -if applicable.

Check the specification plate on the motor. If 220/440V or 230/460 is given, just rewire the motor from star to delta connection. Check for control supply voltage also. On the terminalboard you will find 6 bolts ( 3 rows with 2 bolts), all connectet to the motor windings; 1 of each row to the supply. If 3 bolts of a line are connectet to the supply and the opposite 3 bolts are jumpered in line, that wiring is called star; if always 2 bolts of a row are jumpered and at the same time connectet to the supply it is a delta connection. That means a star connection is used for higer voltage and a delta connection for lower voltage. Do not touch the origin wiring of the motor windings.

Back