220 3 phase to 440 3 phase ?

I agree with 1holla and Ulma, IF the motor does offer access to the connections, going from wye to delta will reduce the voltage needs by a factor of 1.73 - that is, you can go from 440 to 254 V, etc.

Hi,

What does the motor spec plate say, can you post a picture? If it says 220/440 or 220/380 it is likely that it needs 3 phase power with each phase voltage of 220v up to 240v. This will result in a between phase voltage of 380v to 440V.

This service is usually called 3 phase 220V in US, in Europe and many other places.

However few places in the world (Bahamas for example) have real 108v 3 phase which results in a between phase voltage of around 220v. If you have a service like this you are likely to need a step up transformer.

It is hard to say without seeing the motor's spec plate. If it is missing but you can measure the resistance across the motor coils and measure the physical size of the motor. From this the power can be roughly estimated and voltage calculated based on resistance . If you are in doubt which service you have in your workshop and you have a multimeter that can measure AC voltages up to 750v at least and you feel confident it can be done safely you can measure the voltage between one of each phases and neutral and then between phases. However, if you have little experience with high voltage I would not recommend to mess with measuring voltages like this as it can be very dangerous.

I edited the post to add an explanation why I suggest to measure the physical size of the motor.

Last edited:
Back