220 schematic requiring a neutral wire?

sfsteel

Registered
Registered
This is probably really basic, but I’m new to 220v wiring. This schematic shows L, N, PE. Picture attached.

I’m assuming:
L = Hot
PE = Ground
N = Nuetral?

Where does the second hot in my 220v circuit go to? I didn’t expect to find a neutral connection on the schematic, rather two hots and a ground.

609A52AD-BF96-4BEC-93FA-F982FAF14D19.jpeg

It looks like the schematic was for something similar to UK wiring. Unlike our 240 wiring which is split L1-N-L2, theirs is just L and N. The P.E. is their earth or ground and is tied to the electrical chassis. For US wiring, black would go to L and red would go to their N, and green or bare would go to PE. Grizzly uses the same wiring convention on their G0755 mill which is a 240 volt machine.

If the cord in your hand is the power cord, I would color the insulation of the cord red with a magic marker so someone wouldn't mistake it for a neutral wire. I do so on both exposed ends, the plug connection and inside the box where it connects to the terminal strip.

Im not going to attempt to answer your question but it might be good to post the make and model of the machine also.

It looks like the schematic was for something similar to UK wiring. Unlike our 240 wiring which is split L1-N-L2, theirs is just L and N. The P.E. is their earth or ground and is tied to the electrical chassis. For US wiring, black would go to L and red would go to their N, and green or bare would go to PE. Grizzly uses the same wiring convention on their G0755 mill which is a 240 volt machine.

If the cord in your hand is the power cord, I would color the insulation of the cord red with a magic marker so someone wouldn't mistake it for a neutral wire. I do so on both exposed ends, the plug connection and inside the box where it connects to the terminal strip.

I only see the designated L1 as being fused though, if I connect the second hot to N, that would leave that line unprotected, right?

I only see the designated L1 as being fused though, if I connect the second hot to N, that would leave that line unprotected, right?
What RJ said.

In the US the second 'hot' would be protected by the breaker. 220 single phase breakers protect both poles.

Connect the PE (green) to the Earth connection on your outlet/box. it doesn't carry functional current - it is your protection if something comes loose or fails in such a way that the chassis of the mill becomes 'hot'.

What RJ said.

In the US the second 'hot' would be protected by the breaker. 220 single phase breakers protect both poles.

Connect the PE (green) to the Earth connection on your outlet/box. it doesn't carry functional current - it is your protection if something comes loose or fails in such a way that the chassis of the mill becomes 'hot'.
Got it, thanks for the input everybody!

If you have time you should post about what you think of your PM-30. Not a lot out on those machines.

This is probably really basic, but I’m new to 220v wiring. This schematic shows L, N, PE. Picture attached.

I’m assuming:
L = Hot
PE = Ground
N = Nuetral?

Where does the second hot in my 220v circuit go to? I didn’t expect to find a neutral connection on the schematic, rather two hots and a ground.

View attachment 275629

Everything about this schematic points to a 120V circuit and not a 220V. The fact that L1 is fused only is a flag to me, as well as if you did put 220 V across L1 & N, you would also be putting 220 V across the hand controls (your E-Stop, On, Off) which isn't too cool according to NFPA 79 and others. You need to double check beforehand.

Jim

Back