220 Volt Question

It should work for modest sized motors but are you certain you don't have 220? That would be very unusual.

I am only looking within my garage. I assume that the 220 v plug is different from the 120 v plug and all the plugs (including washing/drying machine) look like 120 v.

You should already have a 220V connection for your dryer. A big socket with at least 3 prongs
shaped like a Y . Like This:

|
/ \

You could branch off this circuit, but dont run you machine and dryer together. Or make and adapter with a visit to your Home Depot or equivalent.

What does the plug from you machine look like? Maybe something like:

o o
_ _ or _ |

Hello Paul,

Before you try to go down the voltage converter path - confirm that you really don't have 220V.

I agree with John in that a home today without 220 V power would be very unusual - especially in California, where you have central air conditioning. If you have central AC, then 220 V power is pretty much a certainty. Someone familiar with home wiring systems could look at your entrance breaker / fuse and tell you in 10 seconds if there is 220 V power. Perhaps you have a relative, neighbor, co-worker that could take a look.

You are right in that 220V outlets look different from 120V.
220 V outlets are typically only installed where 220V is expected to be used - such as at an electric range, electric clothes dryer, or an electric oven.
I can see where there would not be a 220V outlet in a garage unless a previous owner had a welder or some other high amp device.

220V outlets also look different depending on the amp rating. This is done so that you don't try to plug in a device which draws more power than the rating of the wiring / breaker which is installed.

Assuming there is 220V power in your house, adding a 220V outlet may not be a big deal.
Its not a "first time project" though. Find a qualified person to do the work. Show him the machine to be connected so that the proper breaker / wiring / outlet is installed.

Terry S.

The 220 v outlets are in the kitchen and by the AC. My washer and (gas) dryer plugs in the garage are 120 v. </SPAN>
The reason for the voltage converter is that I thought it would be cheaper to buy one than to have an electrician add a 220 line in the garage. For less than $70.00 for a 220 outlet with a converter vs cost of electrician. How much does it cost to add a 220 line by a licensed electrician?</SPAN>

You are right - you won't get an electrician on site for $70.
How big is the motor on the mill? If it is a 1 HP or less, you might be able to use the transformer.
Most residential outlets are 15 amp (20 amp for a washer or other large appliance).
A 15 amp socket can deliver around 1700 watts without tripping the breaker.
Look at the rated current on the mill motor. Then, double it to get the current at 120 V.
Terry S.

You are right - you won't get an electrician on site for $70.
How big is the motor on the mill? If it is a 1 HP or less, you might be able to use the transformer.
Most residential outlets are 15 amp (20 amp for a washer or other large appliance).
A 15 amp socket can deliver around 1700 watts without tripping the breaker.
Look at the rated current on the mill motor. Then, double it to get the current at 120 V.
Terry S.

Good to know about the limit on outlet. I don’t have a mill yet but am in the process on finding the “right” one. If I can use a converter to run a 220 v motor (<= 2hp), it opens up more options since I am not limited to 120v motors. The mill I am looking for is just for home hobby use and it won't go over 2 hp so 1700 watt is plenty.</SPAN>

How much does it cost to add a 220 line by a licensed electrician?

Depends on lots of things.

How far is it from the breaker box?
Do you have room for another (double) breaker in the box?
Is there reasonable access to run new wires?
What brand & style breakers does your box take? (Obsolete or oddball stuff can add to the price.)
What do electricians charge in your area?

The actual work to add a 20 amp 220V circuit is the same as a new 20 amp 110V circuit.

Materials alone would probably get near the $70 mark.

That said I still think adding a new 220 circuit is a better idea in the long run unless you have plans to move in the near future.

Personally I think the claim of 3000 watts for that transformer is dubious at best, that would be a bit over 27 amps @ 110. Even if the transformer can do that your normal 110V circuit will not!

Depends on lots of things.

How far is it from the breaker box?
Do you have room for another (double) breaker in the box?
Is there reasonable access to run new wires?
What brand & style breakers does your box take? (Obsolete or oddball stuff can add to the price.)
What do electricians charge in your area?

The actual work to add a 20 amp 220V circuit is the same as a new 20 amp 110V circuit.

Materials alone would probably get near the $70 mark.

That said I still think adding a new 220 circuit is a better idea in the long run unless you have plans to move in the near future.

Personally I think the claim of 3000 watts for that transformer is dubious at best, that would be a bit over 27 amps @ 110. Even if the transformer can do that your normal 110V circuit will not!

I am assuming electricians are at least as expansive as plumbers (they are expansive around here) . At this point, I am just looking and pursuing options for a 220 v outlet (if needed). </SPAN>
Since I am mainly interested in a motor less than 2 hp (less than 1500 watt), the converter should be fine.

Back