220v LED

Most likely a ba9s led bulb holder which has a spring loaded center pin with a separate bulb. The bulb should indicate the voltage on the side, some that I use are 240VAC/DC. Normally you would connect the two solder lugs to L1 and L2 power after the switch. I would be concerned with that holder design if you wire it to 240VAC and have any exposed metal contacts that you could touch. Better off to get a LED holder were the wires/spades go into the body of the switch and the locking screws are recessed to prevent any touch contact. Something like this:

Should of known, :oops: You can unscrew the bezel and replace the LED. The two out leads are what you connect to the power.

I very much doubt that the indicator uses the LED's diode characteristics to adapt it to AC. In the forward direction the current-limiting resistor would drop most of the voltage across itself, but in the reverse direction the LED would see the full line voltage across it, driving the LED into breakdown and as a result sooner or later (I think sooner) it will fail.

A quick browse through Digikey's selection of single red LEDs showed that the maximum reverse voltage usually is specified to be no more than 5V. So applying a voltage that's almost 50X that would appear to be a Bad Idea.

I use 230VAC LEd BA9s indicator bulbs in a number of different machines, and have not had any issues, so there may be more than just a dropping resistor in the bulb base. The pin that is sticking out from the base is locked extended when the bulb is inserted. As I mentioned my main concern is having a finger safe holder at that voltage level, looks like that one uses solder lugs so one could solder the wires and then use some shrink tube or electrical tapes and wrap the base of the switch.

Break out the ohm meter, Being 220V could that center pin be a ground for the metal bezel?

Got it in, and working. The center pin would move with the lens off, and pushing on the LED, no continuity between the bezel, and the pin.

Back