220v w/VFD or new 110v motor for lathe?

Yes, the VFD and tread mill motor setups so others can see the fabrication involved. I think several DC motor guys said they thought VFD was easier and comparable to the tread mill motor. I was wondering if the lathe application of DC would be the most practical use- or does VFD still win out.

Gives the hobby shop guys access to some info for setting up a system either way.
Burnrider,
I can take some pics but I think what you are asking is the DC version the best version...?

I went the Dc version because treadmills are cheap to find. ;lots of free parts. the motor the controller. heck even some wire and switches.

As far as the mounting this is entirely up to the project at hand with my Drill press I found I had most of the parts I needed right in my own shop.
I even added a fan for those long drilling operations. (Ill provide pics tomorrow?). I also added a pot to allow the controller to start up the treadmill motor
at any given speed..

Typical treadmill controller won't let you start the motor up at say any speed more then 10% (guessing)
The addition of the pot. allows you to by pass this safety feature. (just a work around).
Imagine jumping on your treadmill and it instantly ramps up to 8 mph! ("not good")
But for your drill press or band say or sander etc... this is desirable. I can add schematics too

But considering the fact most tools come with an ac motor its my opinion the VFD setup trumps the treadmill option.

Cons of the treadmill: (and in no order)
a: you will most definitely have to come up with a mounting solution Treadmill motors aren't typical NEMA ready
b: cooling might be necessary so cooling considerations might be part of the build
c: even though most read mill motors might say .5-1.5 HP on the name plate. The controller isn't going to deliver...
A replacement controller might be necessary. Big $$
d: Pulley considerations? most treadmill motors employ a shaft witha thread on pulley.

Pros. of the treadmill:
a:If you can find a treadmill most of the parts are their Wire, the motor and the controller.
b: its a fun project to undertake.
c: bragging rights?

VFD: pros.
a: VFD controllers can get expensive. but depending on your needs/applications you might just find their affordable. (from what I found they more affordable than DC controllers)
b: Most likely if your considering a VFD setup then you probably already know you need a motor. 3 Phase mtrs are pretty cheap. and easy to find. and NEMA compliant.
meaning you most likely won't need to buy a pulley or find an alternant mounting solution. as well as perhaps a cooling solution either.
c: depending on the controller Fwd, Reverse, jog and braking are pretty stock for most low end controllers. they do some amazing things right out of the box.

VFD cons:
a: I have read many have had wiring challenges. imho anyone with some good and safe sense could do the wiring. I'll add since they are 110/220/440/3 phase
(disclaimer coming...)I would recommend you consult with an electrician when in doubt. as for Me? Im no electrician. I did all my own wiring and feel as though no electrician could have done much better. (no offense to any electricians :) )
b: your not going to find one at your local sears or home depot. so if it breaks down you will have some down time. getting parts.

Im sure to have missed lots of pros & cons. and will add as they come to mind.

Sam

Problem with tread mill applications is the controller. Ebay has pages of them, needing some modification for shop use. Waaay too much information. Those of us w/ no circuit experience could set it up with some help from a local e-whiz. Next best option is the commercial VFD for AC or DC use. Then you have to learn how to use it and regulate speed for cutting. Safe motor loading is likely the next concern (already addressed here). That's where the VFD w/ readout panel is good.

Thanks to sniper & Papaseven for the info.

Last edited:
Back