22lr pistols that thread barrel to receiver?

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My goal is to use a stub from an AR bull barrel to build a slow twist pistol barrel on a 22lr pistol...to stabilize the Aguila 60 grain SSS bullet. I know my Browning Buckmark is a lugged barrel, not threaded to the receiver, and most certainly doesn't stabilize this bullet. What currently available pistols have barrels threaded to their receivers so I can swap them easily? I am thinking the traditional Buckmark, Ruger MK 4 or 22/45, etc. style of 22 pistol... Surprisingly this info is not easy to find on the Internet as I have spent hours searching and googling to no avail.

Try looking at numerich gun parts . Type in pistol barrels many guns use threaded barrels . Almost every single or double action do. Even many semi autos. lugers are but there 22 models not made now. Ruger Mark 1 11 are I think even there 22-45 model I bet is. Not sure but maybe you could make a block to fit the lug and thread them together . Should work , I have two spaceguns if you remember those. I absolutely love them . Slant grip weights big muzzle just plain art. The golden days of gun manufacturing is really gone forever. And I like your idea too , sounds like it should work , how long may effect the bullet also.

The main reason I choose the Ruger/Buckmark semiauto style is for suppressor use. Revolvers are a non starter there. Full length slides are floating barrels, so you have lots of milling, and I only have a lathe. As far as I can tell only this style and maybe the Ruger Charger are options for me to thread and install a new barrel...unless I go single shot and that is not attractive to me. I could buy something already threaded at the muzzle, but it'll be standard 22lr twist and not work with the 60 grain SSS bullet. An old 'gunsmith special' Ruger mark 1 or 2 would be ideal, but they just don't turn up for sale much!

Find a Hi-Standard. Their barrels are quick detachable with a push button. Very easy to fit also.

My understanding is that the Ruger MK 1 and 2's have the barrel threaded in then 'squeezed' in a press to deform the threads/tenon. I have been told they are practically impossible to remove without destroying the receiver...

I don't know, I have never tried to remove one... but, hey, we are machinists! We can do anything if we work at it long enough! Lol!

-Bear

That is correct, bear. They have to be surgically removed.

It would be easier to just copy the receiver of the ruger mark pistols and thread any pitch you wanted than it would be to remove the barrel IMO .

I have also pondered turning down my barrel stub into a sleeve and drilling/resleeving an existing barrel...if I happen across a tired pistol. I hate to do that to a new one.

Find a Hi-Standard. Their barrels are quick detachable with a push button. Very easy to fit also.
I own two space guns as they were nicknamed but I wouldn't take a grand for either one. High standard is right they are. Smith and Wesson target 22 has almost the same deal or did .

I speak highly of the SW Model 41. The barrel and whatever sight system you use are easily made unitary. That leaves the chambering of the round as the major variable. From what I have experienced, the chambering is where it is at for 22LR. The difference in the several 22LR that I have had is a gunsmithed chamber vs the factory. You can get lucky with the factory, but it is rare. There a some gunsmiths that specialize in making a Model 41 MOA or better. Ammunition is also a large factor. As mentioned earlier, High Standards are also very good candidates.

Back