22mm R8 Arbor for 16DP 14.5 PA involute cutters

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Finally my involute cutters showed up from the far east. My partial set was not sufficient so ordered another
set on E-Bay. The ID of the new cutters is 22mm and my previous set was one inch so had to make a new arbor
to run them. It was built on center for the best concentricity and I copied an existing R8 collet for dimensions. The
run out on a visual test on the mill looks fine as I can see no wobble or side to side movement, should be good.
Luckliy I had a 22.04mm diameter drill for the washers so that saved me the time of boring to size.
The mill was used with a small end mill (about 2.2mm diameter) to carve out the slots for the key ways in the washers.
The material used was a 16 inch piece of inch and a quarter diameter stock for the whole project.

Here is a photo of my new box of cutters along with a photo of the work I did to
make the R8 arbor to hold them in the mill. I single pointed the 3/4 by16 threads
on the lathe and ran a die over them for a finishing touch. It's easy that way and
the threads will be very true.

P1020223.JPG

P1020219.JPG

This is one of the cutters installed ready for a new project.

By the way, the foreman at Catwerks LTD looked over my work today and gave it an approving nod.;)

Last edited:
Back