23,001 and Growing

G

Grumpy Gator

Forum Guest
Register Today
We have 23,001 members now.
When I first came here we numbered less than 200.
Thanks to all of you members who continue to make this site the best on the world wide web, Thank You.
To all the members who take the time to share there knowledge and experience to help and educate the new members, Thanks is not enough. By your contributions, a whole new generation of Hobby-Machinist's will be able to carry on the "I can do that" spirit. The gift of knowledge is priceless.
To all you newcomers please remember that the only stupid question is the one you did not ask. Nobody here was born with this knowledge. And in most cases, we only learned from our mistakes. And that's not a bad thing. It's education.
To our Guest's, please take the time and join our group. Share what you know and ask what you don't.
As for myself, and the staff we are working full time to ensure that this forum is the best it can be.
**Gator**

Thanks also to you, Gator, and Ken and Terry and Tony (and Nelson who I hope is still around) and the other Mods for making HM the best hobby machining forum on the net. My personal thanks to all the members, new and not so new, for being the helpful, supportive guys you are. There is still a huge silent majority on this site and I would encourage you quiet lurkers to get active and join in on the discussions - you will learn more, and faster that way.

The one thing that I wish we could see more of is teaching in other fields. Most of us are not pro machinists but all of us earn a living at something that is sure to bring an expertise of its own. I know for a fact that there are professional electricians, physicians, firefighters, lawyers and who knows what else on this site. Yet we hardly ever see someone give a tutorial on something not machining related but that would be of general interest to the community. Maybe we can have a sub-forum for voluntary tutorials like this? I would be an avid reader, that's for sure.

Maybe we can have a sub-forum for voluntary tutorials like this? I would be an avid reader, that's for sure.

First post for the new sub forum. It can be moved once the folder is ready. (or deleted)

How to make the worlds best Gin and Tonic.

1, Place Gin in freezer for at least 12 hours (I keep mine in the freezer permantly, or until its empty.)
2, place glass in freezer for at least 1 hour
3, place tonic in freezer for approx 40 mins but dont allow it to freeze. (DO NOT USE DIET TONIC)
4, Use a vegetable peeler and remove the zest from a lemon
5, place zest in glass and pound well with the handle of a wooden spoon to release the oils.
peel.jpg
6, Use one of these and juice the lemon, pick out the pips and pour onto the zest.
juice-2.jpg
7, Add a few ice cubes
cubes-3.jpg
8, pour the amount of exceedingly cold gin you want over the ice. The gin should be so cold it crackles and pours like oil
gin-4.jpg
The bottle is too cold to touch hence the cloth.

This was a full bottle with just the two drinks made from it.
gin-5.jpg
9, Add the tonic, stir to mix well (no photo as I couldnt wait to start drinking.)

10, consume with great relish. I'm not an alcoholic as I only have one drink a night.
drink-6.jpg

Now I realise that most of you are in the grip of a mini ice age and the thought of an icy drink will be an anathema at this moment in time but hold on, it will get warmer to appreciate this soon.
At the temperature I'm melting in at present its a welcome respite.
Most of all, enjoy.

Wow, if I drank alcohol, I would want to try that!

Looks good! Juniper berries are good for you, lemon zest as well...

And the tonic Bob, to guard against malaria :aok:got everything going for it.

It must be warmer where you are, Savarin. Sure looks good though......hmmmm.... maybe it would warm you up a little.....??

Quite often, folks claim to be Irish for an excuse...I dare say the same amount of us are English too! My folks are Glasgow and Staffordshire, and it's -4 C right now, Savarin. I am going to try your method this weekend with gusto.

I am going to try your method this weekend with gusto.
I've just finished mine and feel very
R
-- e
---- l
------- a
--------- x
------------e
--------------- d
:chill out:

Last edited:
Back