$2300 for an Atlas Shaper?

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
I looked at sold listings on eBay for shapers today and was a bit blown away by this:

$2300 for a pretty good Atlas shaper. The add says it's a model AB, which didn't come with belt covers and the oil catch pan that goes under the ram on the back is broken. Also, it has the original "pearlage" as the seller calls it. I had to look, since I know no Atlas machines were hand scraped from the factory. Turns out some PO had put machine turned decoration on the vertical ways and the vise. I bought an Atlas shaper several years ago that was more complete and no broken parts for 500. Also, in the same search a fairly rough Atlas 7B went for 200 in Louisiana. All I can say is someone must have wanted one of these real bad. I like my little Atlas, but I would certainly part with it for 2300. For that price I could probably be persuaded to throw in the rotary table and index centers.

Wow! Thats an insane price, especially around here (North East) where we're swimming in used machinery.

well it's gone, doesn't say if it was sold or what. The delusion continues with the "crank or toolholder not included. These can be found cheap on eBay"
oh really?

Well I might have spoken too soon, a quick check on Ebay, Craigslist and FB Marketplace search yields only 2 shapers within 100 miles, a beat up one for without a vise for $1250 and one similar to the above for $2500! Seems like only a couple of years ago nice ones were going for much less...

The last local one I saw was for $2,000 and looked restored and complete. I think it was east of Bakerfield and only last a week on CL. It would seem shapers have become the hobby must have. At these prices I never would have gotten one for sure.

There's a guy in Portland trying to sell one for $1900.00 and he's been sitting on it, though I think he started higher.

I don't know what it is but where I live it rarely makes sense to buy used anymore. The other day I saw a 2yr old Tundra listed for $50k private party...ummm I might as well add another $2k and buy a new one and a higher model too...not that I'm looking to spend that kind of money on a pickup (yes, they're like cars these days, everyone has one and the bigger the better to fit more grocery bags lol).

I think Toyota pickups are in a whole different category from other cars and trucks. But, we bought a 2015 Honda van last
year as a lease return and saved 1/3 the cost of a new one, and the car is in perfect shape.

Back