24" Box And Pan Sheet Metal Brake...can't Decide Which "brand"

0110-m-p

Registered
Registered
I know this is more of a home machinists forum and not a sheet metal fabrication forum, but I thought someone here might have some input.

I'm currently about to purchase a small box and pan (finger) brake for the garage. I've narrowed it down to a particular 24" unit that is rated for 20ga steel and, like many of the machinery posted around here, is sold under many names. The question I have is about brand quality and which one I should choose over the others and why. Here is the break down of brands, best price including shipping/tax, a link to the item for sale, and my impressions so far.

Grizzly G0557 | $379
- It's Grizzly, so well known brand. Definitely on the higher end of prices. Seems to be the only one with that piece of angle iron on the front, but it isn't in the parts list in the manual. Has more/narrower fingers than the other brakes (except Shop Fox).

Shop Fox M1011 | $329
- Figure this is the same as the Grizzly since both companies are owned by the same people. It is cheaper and I think its looks better. It is at the top of my list currently.

Woodward Fab WFBP2420 | $390 (on Ebay)
- I called the company and they were very responsive and informative...only problem is they are the most expensive. Has fewer, wider fingers than the Grizzly and Shop Fox.

Kaka W1.0X610A | $315 (on Ebay)
- This one looks the nicest to me and is the biggest contender to the Shop Fox right now since it is a bit cheaper. Biggest issue I have is that I have never heard of Kaka before.

Bolton Tools PB2420 | $285
- Definitely the least expensive but looks awful in pretty much every picture I have seen. Seems like a big risk to save 10% over the Kaka.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of kaka (insert hysterical school boy laughter)for the money. Let me rephrase that. I'd go for the kaka, the bolton looks kind of poopy.:grin: Mike

I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE LIMITED TO 20 GAUGE .
DI-ACRO & PEXTO FINGER BRAKES ARE EXCELLENT & CAN HANDLE 16 GAUGE .

THE PRICE OF A NEW ONE WILL SCARE THE WITS OUT OF YOU !
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16Ga-Thickn...535635?hash=item2367651ed3:g:kl8AAOSw3mpXE~xe
http://www.roperwhitney.com/pexto-box-and-pan-brake.html

I KNOW PEOPLE ( INCLUDING MYSELF ) WHO HAVE BOUGHT DECENT USED ONES IN THE $400 -$600 RANGE .
THIS IS TOUGH TO DO , I KNOW . BUT THEY HAVE BEEN SO GOOD FOR SO LONG THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM OUT THERE
AND DEALS DO HAPPEN .

HERE ARE MY $300 12" DI-ACRO & $1400 24" PEXTO FINGER BRAKES . SADLY , THE FINGERS DO NOT INTERCHANGE .

DSC_0806.JPG DSC_0807.JPG DSC_0810.JPG

If I could find a quality 24" brake for that price I would jump on it, but 12" is too small.

This will be used almost exclusively for bending 5052 aluminum for race car duct work. Mostly 18ga with some 16ga, so as long as the machine can handle that I will be happy.

I know you asked about specific brands and a box/pan brake.

I have a Harbor Freight brake-non-finger, but I suspect it may well end up being modified. It is used for the same purposes as you.

It's a 36" model and I haven't the foggiest idea as to what it's limitations are, but what I can tell you about is that I couldn't imagine life without a brake now that I have a real one.

I spent 45+ years using pieces of angle iron in a vise and a hammer. The Harbor Freight brake is SO much nicer than THAT method.

Mine is a 36" and while I don't really stress it, I have yet to find a piece of sheetmetal it hasn't bent, be it aluminium or steel. I have not tried it with galvanized but I don't think it would like it much.

I suspect that whichever one you do decide upon, you'll be pleased. I've used the Peck, Stowe, & Wilcox stuff. :Homer drool: Sadly, it was wasted on me as I was in high school and didn't have the patience or skills I have now :)

Now, my turn to ask a question. I just bought a coupla sheets of ~0.090" 5052. How well does it bend/weld? I'll be tigging it as I've read it doesn't lend itself well to soldering or MIG/spoolgun welding. Shapiro Alloys in St. Louis has been treating me VERY well and has my aluminium business!

A BRAKE THAT CAN BEND 20 GAUGE STEEL WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH 16 GAUGE SOFT ALUMINUM .

YOU CAN EVEN BEND 16 GAUGE STEEL IF YOU ARE WILLING TO SETTLE FOR A LARGER RADIUS AT THE BEND .
THIS ALSO IS AFFECTED GREATLY BY THE LENGTH OF THE BEND .

ANOTHER GREAT TOOL TO HAVE LAYING AROUND IS A BENDER .
ONCE AGAIN DI-ACRO MAKES SOME OF THE BEST ONES . I HAVE A LITTLE #1 BENDER .
WE SOLD A #4 MONSTER WITH THE SHOP LIQUIDATION . 4 FOOT ARM & DOES NOT LOSE ARGUMENTS !

Unless you have to have a finger brake RIGHT NOW THIS AFTERNOON I'd wait and haunt craigslist waiting to pounce on a classic USA brake.

Pexto, D&K, DiAcro - something that will last two lifetimes and be worth every penny you paid for it when your grandson sells it forty years from now.

I got a $300 cheapie made in a garage in Trashcanistan and regretted it from day 1. There was so much I wanted to do and such a pain to do it with the toy. Moving to the real thing was heavenly. I found a wonderful 1950's vintage D&K 30" finger brake with extra fingers for $550 here in the equipment desert of Oregon - they're out there!

Stu

There are two things that I need...1) Spend less than $400 and 2) get a brake that can do 24" sheets of 16ga 5052 aluminum in the smallest space possible. A 48" brake will most definitely not be going in my garage even at a steal of a price. And when do I need this brake...within the next 2 weeks. Waiting around for a deal isn't really in the cards right now, so unless someone has a line on a USA made brake that can do 24" bends for under $400 and will be available in the next 2 weeks I have to decide on one of the ones I posted in the original post.

Unless you have to have a finger brake RIGHT NOW THIS AFTERNOON I'd wait and haunt craigslist waiting to pounce on a classic USA brake.

Pexto, D&K, DiAcro - something that will last two lifetimes and be worth every penny you paid for it when your grandson sells it forty years from now.

I got a $300 cheapie made in a garage in Trashcanistan and regretted it from day 1. There was so much I wanted to do and such a pain to do it with the toy. Moving to the real thing was heavenly. I found a wonderful 1950's vintage D&K 30" finger brake with extra fingers for $550 here in the equipment desert of Oregon - they're out there!

Stu
Agreed. I found a 24" DiAcro that was missing the angle iron table extension and one 1 1/4" finger for $400 on Craig's List. Bought some 1/4" x 3" angle from Lowe's for the table and found a 1 1/4" finger on eBay. Have about $450 into the brake. It's a beast, have bent 1/8" thick aluminum 2' long.

I have a HF 3 in one 30" machine also. I broke one of the castings that go from the crank roller to the shear bar (tried to bend a 12" long piece of 16 gauge steel). On the plus side, the replacement casting was under $10. I've sheared 20 gauge steel 30" long without any issues.

Bruce

Back