24" Gemco shaper in NY

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member

Nice looking machine at a price that isn't unreasonable. :(

I've seen machines this big and bigger got for half as much and less at auction.

I've seen machines this big and bigger got for half as much and less at auction.
Yeah, it's not a deal of a lifetime. Regardless of auction or ebay, etc, two things that are important to me are
1) Can I see it, and see it run
2) Can the seller load onto my trailer, can I winch and skate it myself, or as a buyer am I on the hook for a rigger.

Ebay wants you to pay up before seeing the machine as they don't want to give you the seller's info without getting their cut. Auctions you may be able to see the machine, but often not under power, and you are probably on the hook to find a rigger with a million dollar liability insurance coverage, ...

I'm hoping to eventually find one, but craigslist and/or word of mouth sale, where you can see it before committing are certainly my preference.

I look at it this way, if you can score a 24" shaper from an auction, sight unseen, for $700 and you spend $200 on a rigger to put it on your trailer (or rental) - it's probably a great deal unless it's completely clapped out and all the gears are broken. Even then, if you have the time (talking hobbyist here, of course) and can make replacement parts, it's still a win.

What's really bananas, to me, is how much people are asking and paying for small 7" shapers. I have a small 7" Logan and I didn't pay 10% of what they are selling for on ePay. Pays to bid on auction items, even sight unseen. :)

I'm still keeping my eyes open for a smoking deal on a 16" machine. I'd like something about that size, maybe 20" at most. The bigger onese I recently saw at online auctions that sold for $700-$1,000 are too big for my shop.

Back