240v/50a Welder Problem.

Based upon an online voltage drop calculator and the distance from the LC to your machine you should be using #6 wire instead of #8. On the other hand, unless you were pulling the total rated load on your welder it's close enough that 8 ga should work.

I have found that flux core wire seems to lay down hotter than solid wire.

Scott

That is good to know Scott on the wire gage. But I still think that would make the machine run colder not hotter.

On the flux core hotter than solid yes I agree it will run hotter that is one of the advantages to using it. But I was way under the recommended setting to keep from burning of the flux at my place but the machine ran good at the recommended ranges at Eastwood. It is my understanding that the inverter should be able to compensate for any small variance in voltage.

Well I guess I will see how it all goes with the power mig 210.

Mark

That is good to know Scott on the wire gage. But I still think that would make the machine run colder not hotter....snipe....
Mark

Mark, what Scott is trying to say is, when you have a voltage drop due to the high amp draw, you loose wattage at the stinger or where the wire touches and creates the arc. It takes "X" amount of wattage to get the penetration you are looking for. Increasing the wire size will help you reduce the voltage drop and get the wattage needed to make the weld needed. Has nothing to do with making the machine run cooler and not hotter. The machine will still run hot pushing the maximum wattage needed to make the weld wanted.

Yes I get what you guys are saying and the relationship between amps, volts resistance and watts. Like Scott was saying it should be fine till I hit near the max output drawing the max input. I am looking at a unloaded 245v at the outlet I have been unable to take a loaded reading on volts.

But the issue I was having with the machine is it was welding at what seemed like a much higher out amperage than it should have. the penetration was good as I checked it with a etch test. Are you saying that the smaller wire/ lower wattage could be causing the machine to behave as if it is running hot/higher amps?

Yes I am considering pulling a #6 wire in in place of the #8 as a safety and to protect the machines. But the power mig will have a max input of like 15 amps.

Mark

Electricity is consumed in watts. When voltage drops, current is increased in order to deliver the wattage demanded. Wiring is sized for current, not voltage. Thus a voltage drop on a wire can cause overheating due to excessive current over the wire. Same holds true inside the welder.

That's one of the reasons why you don't want to feed high loads over a long extension cord. The resistance in the long run can cause a voltage drop, which in turn can cause the wire to overheat and start a fire or burn up the equipment fed by the cord.

I learned that lesson the hard way when a tenant burned up my old farm house by plugging a space heater into an extension cord. The cord overheated and started a fire.

I don't think that your problem is related to a voltage drop; just wanted to take a minute to share some knowledge.

Scott

Up date On this I took the welder back and bought a Lincoln power mig 210 mp. It also seemed to run hot, Not as bad as the Eastwood welder but hot. so I took it down the road to a friends house and hooked it up there it still seemed hot. Now he is about the same distance from the substation, a transform is about as close as mine. I had the power company out to check my power coming in and although they say it is at the top end it is in reason. I put a volt meter on the welders plug while welding and only had a 1.2 volt drop in voltage.

All of this considered I would say the Eastwood welder was a good machine. However since I already spent the extra on the 210 mp I will keep it.

Mark

Well I guess I will see how it all goes with the power mig 210.

Mark

You will trade it in on a TIG machine (waves Jedi hand). I gave my Lincoln 210mp to a buddy when I bought my TIG setup, he's been happy with it.

You will trade it in on a TIG machine (waves Jedi hand). I gave my Lincoln 210mp to a buddy when I bought my TIG setup, he's been happy with it.

I have a TIG machine and I love it. But I do a lot of dirty welding on thicker stuff, the FC welder is much better for that. Also I figure if I have to go out to weld something TIG will make it a lot more complex. Dragging a bottle along, blocking wind, foot pedal... So this is my go to machine for most welding. I use Tig for clean stuff, thin stuff and pretty stuff.

Mark

I'm a noob welder and found MIG was not for me, BZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTT POW SPATTER it seemed uncontrollable more of a grip it and rip it process. TIG is much more my speed, the serenity of gas whooshing and a pillow like arc its like soldering. I do see how a guy would be there all day with TIG trying to get something done that a MIG would rip through quickly.

Back