$25 Horizontal mill - any idea who made this?

SEK_22Hornet

Active User
Registered
Well, I went to an auction today that had a milling machine and lathe listed - the lathe was a fairly nice Atlas and the milling machine was Harbor Freight gear head mill - then there was the other mill listed as a Horizontal Milling Machine. Well, no one else wanted this poor old thing so I purt a starting bid of $25 on it and ended up with it! I can't find any names or name plates on it. Here are some photos - Any one know anything about this little beast?

DSCF2077.JPG DSCF2080.JPG DSCF2081.JPG DSCF2082.JPG DSCF2083.JPG DSCF2084.JPG

Pretty sure that is a Lewis 109 horizontal, seems to be late 40's

mil_bars.jpg

Last edited:
I am almost certain that is a Lewis bench mill. They were available in kit form and were popular as projects in vo-tech classes. I haven't found a lot of information on their line of equipment. There were other machine tool kits available including a small shaper. There is no connection with the current Lewis Machine Tool company who produces an upscale AR-15.

Nice find, Kevin J.

The table and knee look suspiciously close to my little Benchmaster as well as the overarm bearing. I'll not make a judgement though.....

...forgot to add that it was a verrrry nice find. Wish I was there.

After comparing the photos I took to the one provided by JimDawson, I'm pretty sure it is a Lewis. I got it unloaded and took the overarm bearing loose. It looked like it has a drawbar, based on the threaded stub sticking out of the spindle, so I took it loose and gave it a tap. The arbor came right out. At first look, I would say it is probably MT3, but I need to try a couple MT3 tools to confirm that. It will be a spare time project for sure, but I am intrigued by it. Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. I'll post more on it as I have time. I'll have to take a good look at that old catalog that Kevin posted the link to....

My vote is for Lewis as well. Nice find and a steal of a deal.

Back