2HL leak at coolant pump drive shaft

will.mcray

Registered
Registered
I got the mill running and good oil flow. I have a leak at the block above the coolant pump where the splined shaft goes through. I can find any seals in there from the parts manual. Is this normal? If so, what leakage is tolerable? Mine is flowing quite a bit. Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Will

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought this was just a 3/4” pipe threaded into the block? I believe mine is like that. Maybe I am misunderstanding the question.
Cheers
Martin

The splined shaft the drives the coolant (when engaged) passes through a block that the rapid feed tie to. Where is passes through it leaks oil.

Hi Will
Okay, now I know what yo mean. There is an oil cup in each shaft, and I believe grooves to throw the oil back.
Maybe one of the return oil lines is plugged and oil is backing up?
Martin

Interesting. I’m not familiar with the hydraulic flow on this machine and the is lacking information out there. I will have to pull it apart tomorrow.

All of this oil I believe drains back into the knee at the rapid traverse clutch. There is a little gear pump in the block of the rapids clutch housing with oil galleries thru this block into the block with the drive shafts.

It’s a fairly time consuming job. There are 4 slot head cap screws under each drive shaft where it goes thru the block That are kind of a pain.
Also if you just loosen the screws behind the main drive clutch and pulley the shafts will just slide down. I believe you have to remove the coolant pump to get the shafts low enough.
Cheers
Martin

This is mine as I started getting into the tear down.
All my oil lines were plugged in the knee. I had to replace several bearings. Some of the bearing prices will make your heart stop.

Attachments

• 26DAE657-DF82-46AA-832B-A54689E4450F.jpeg
    26DAE657-DF82-46AA-832B-A54689E4450F.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Martin. I’m going to pull the block and check oil passages. Maybe on the shaft there is a return blockage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin. Resolved the leak. Spoke with a very knowledgable person that works on these machines and gave me some good insight and history. Slowed the inlet flow and traced the oil flow passages to return. Made sure the proper length bolts were where they need to be. Yes, there are two different length bolts. Ran at 1400 rpm for 1 hour and no leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back