2ML Toolmaker's Head Tramming

Eremius

Registered
Registered

I have been beating my head on how to tram this thing in. Unfortunately there are no fine controls for tramming in the head accurately. I have been unable to get it closer than ~0.005" in 3".

The adjustment is by using a tommy bar and loosening/tightening the four bolts that cinch the head down.

Does anyone have a blindingly obvious solution that I just haven't been able to suss out?

For my Millrite I have a bar that goes from the two left head mounting bolts down to the table. There is a t-nut and a L bracket mounted to the bottom of the bar and to the table. The head is trammed by moving the X and Z axes left and right and up and down. It works great! I think it makes the whole thing safer and more controllable. It stops the head from being able to turn turtle, which could get expensive or painful. The Millrite, and many other mills, do not have a worm and worm gear for fine adjusting and containing the head. I learned the trick here, but added the table bracket myself:

I don't think that will work directly but that definitely gives me some ideas...

Thank you!

Back