[4]

2x72 Belt Grinder Build

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
I started a Picasa Albums with build pictures and captions, I will update the thread as I add new pictures. Currently it is functional, but I still have work to do on the tool arms, and I am making a cabinet for it to set on.

"Grinder in a Box" Picasa Album

It is based in this kit Grinder in a Box from the Polar Bear Forge.

I looked at them all, the EERF and the GIB was in the top two, having all the major pieces already cut in the GIB kit was the deciding factor for me. I researched these for a LONG time...

The problem is the wheels, you will spend big $$$ on them. I have over $500 in them alone, all purchased the from Rob at KMG Industrial Belt Grinders, Beaumont Metal Works

You can search for endless hours thinking you will find them cheaper/better like me and everybody else, or you can just suck it up and buy from them. Then a motor, and a VFD if you want variable speed...you will easily spend $1200+ building one.

Making the drive and idler wheels at home is doable, but the contact wheels are another story with the rubber on them. After looking at the price of the stock, high speed bearings, and my time I just decided to buy everything. I know, not very DIY-ish but a man has to know his limits, and I wanted this thing up-and-running quickly (turned out not to be the case anyway however).

I found the Dayton 3HP, 3PH, 3450RPM washdown motor locally on CL for $100, I thought that was a good deal. 2HP or ever 1.5HP is plenty however. I wanted a 3 phase so I could add a VFD and have variable speed. In my research that seemed important, and I enjoy that feature on my mill and lathe as well. I needed the 3540 RPM motor because the 1725's will turn to slow for effective use.

Why did I go this route?
-I wanted to build one. I know that I bought a "kit" and pre-made wheels, but I can still customize it along the way-making it mine.
-I really liked and wanted the "KMG" style of grinder with the quick-change tool arms, that way you can make any style you want (I am making two different ones). Another reason I chose the GIB kit is I really liked the second receiver for a tool rest arm rather than having to adapt a tool rest to the tool arm. (I hope that make sense?)
-I like the super fast belt changes with this style grinder.
-I liked the hard mounted motor and direct drive, seemed simpler and more professional looking than having a separate motor with jackshafts, pulleys, and belts. But if you want to use a 1 phase motor this may not be the best choice since you could not vary the speed like you could having a separately mounted motor and step pulley's.
-The GIB is basically the same as the EERF, but it has the extra receiver for the tool rest arm.
-(spaced reserved for more reasons when I think of them)

Some other ones I looked at:
Beaumont Metal Works, Manufacturer of Industrial belt grinders and finishing equipment

Polar Bear Forge (already linked above)

Blindhogg custom gunworks

No Weld Grinder

Grinders

Home

Here is a long thread on BladeForums about a GIB build (not mine, I am not a member) it has LOTS of great info and pictures: Grinder in a box! DIY grinder kit

IMG_1525.jpg IMG_1554.jpg IMG_1553.jpg IMG_1524.jpg IMG_1510.jpg

E

ecdez

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
That's a nice looking machine you have there. Good job!

strantor

Active User
Registered
That's a super sweet, professional looking build there. I've also built a 2X72 belt grinder that I built a few years ago for my knife-making hobby, but I'm almost ashamed to speak of it after seeing yours. It's one hell of a dangerous-looking kludge, but it works, and I paid less than 100$ to build it. here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5duTeuqFE. I've put probably 500 hours on it in the past 4 years and it works great, no incidents yet.

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
That's a super sweet, professional looking build there. I've also built a 2X72 belt grinder that I built a few years ago for my knife-making hobby, but I'm almost ashamed to speak of it after seeing yours. It's one hell of a dangerous-looking kludge, but it works, and I paid less than 100$ to build it. here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5duTeuqFE. I've put probably 500 hours on it in the past 4 years and it works great, no incidents yet.
Thank you very much, I appreciate the compliments. Yours is pretty cool as well:thumbsup:

DMS

Active User
Registered
HOLY SMOKES! That's a nice looking machine. Thank's for posting the build.

ranch23

Active User
Registered
That is nice, I built one of the KMG clones and am planning on building another.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
She's BEAUTIFUL! As usual another Kenny masterpiece. Thanks for the post and info Ken.

Craigb

Registered
Kennyd, that is a nice job on the grinder build.

I have a KMG that I use all the time. I need to take a closer look at the GIB for a second grinder.

Craig

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
Update 12-16-12

I added some more pictures showing the progress in the last two weeks or so.

I build a stand for it, got all the final high and low voltage wiring completed, now I am working on the tool/work rest's for the two different attachments.

More to come soon...

ARM

Active User
Registered
Hi there Kenny
That's a lot of exceptional work U put there in that Grinder.
It looks strong, sturdy and powerful.
However, we don't know why U have chosen a very fast motor for it. Would not a 1400 RPM have sufficed ??
We want to build one of these and always liked the 3-4 wheel running design with a direct driven VSD Motor.
Only thing is we will have to make the usual changes to accommodate our metric sizes for all construction and belt sizes.
Will need to re-look at the original GIB and order the base material from him.
Do post pics of Your finished rests and final set up.
Would like to pick Your brains and expertise when we start with ours - if that's OK with You ???
Thanks a mill for showing.
aRM

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
ARM, thanks for the compliments. A 1400 RPM motor will not provide the needed SFM for adequate material removal. With the 3600 RPM motor and the VFD you have all the speed one would ever need for hogging a lot of material quickly, and you can dial it down for delicate work as well.

There is good info in the links I provided above as well.

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
It is possible to use a 1760 rpm motor. If you set it up with 2 pulleys and a bely then you can get whatever speed you want simply by changing the pulley sizes. Also some vfds have a 2x jumper to run the 3phase motor at twice the rpm.

Many grinders out there are running at 5500 sfpm to allow the ceramic belts to work at their best.

ARM

Active User
Registered
ARM, thanks for the compliments. A 1400 RPM motor will not provide the needed SFM for adequate material removal. With the 3600 RPM motor and the VFD you have all the speed one would ever need for hogging a lot of material quickly, and you can dial it down for delicate work as well.

There is good info in the links I provided above as well.
KENNYD
Hi and compliments of the Season to one and all

May we assume that motor of Yours would be a 2HP, 1.5 KW, 'cos that's what we found powerful enough ??
As we mentioned previously, we are still quite interested in learning which method of REST U would be building for this Machine.
There are some nifty ones on the links U kindly provided !!!
Do remember to post pics of Your finally finished fancy Machine !!!
Thanks a Mill and
Take Care
aRM

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
KENNYD
Hi and compliments of the Season to one and all

May we assume that motor of Yours would be a 2HP, 1.5 KW, 'cos that's what we found powerful enough ??
As we mentioned previously, we are still quite interested in learning which method of REST U would be building for this Machine.
There are some nifty ones on the links U kindly provided !!!
Do remember to post pics of Your finally finished fancy Machine !!!
Thanks a Mill and
Take Care
aRM
Mine is a 3HP 3450RPM motor as stated in the first post. 2HP would be plenty however. I may be working on the rest this weekend...I will update the thread as progress continues.

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
Update 3/5/13:
I added some pictures of the work rest that I built to the Picasa album, it still needs a little fine tuning but it is very functional now.

Also, I made a short video showing some details and operation, it's in HD so you can watch it full screen if you want:

[video=youtube_share;r1x2ppeX66w]http://youtu.be/r1x2ppeX66w[/video]

valleyboy101

Active User
Registered
That's a beautiful piece of work. I built a 2"x 48" belt grinder about 20 years ago it is still going strong. I used a v belt and pulleys to get the belt speed up to 5200 fpm.
It was only because of the lack of large rubber tired wheel that I couldn't more closely model the Baldor that was my inspiration. So....

One question - how did you come up with the rubber tired wheel?

Thanks Michael

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
That's a beautiful piece of work. I built a 2"x 48" belt grinder about 20 years ago it is still going strong. I used a v belt and pulleys to get the belt speed up to 5200 fpm.
It was only because of the lack of large rubber tired wheel that I couldn't more closely model the Baldor that was my inspiration. So....

One question - how did you come up with the rubber tired wheel?

Thanks Michael
Thanks for the compliments Michael, I appreciate i very much.

I sourced all the wheels from Rob at http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/ as stated in the first post.

RandyM

Staff member
:man::man::man::man::man::man:

ARM

Active User
Registered
KennyD
Your machine has finished beautifully
We like Your designs for the different positioned RESTS
Just saw the pics in Your album - they are a superb assistance
Just one more question though.
We note that U are using an aluminium Drive wheel on the Motor and not a rubber mounted wheel
Your belt did not seem to slip on start up ???
Would not a Rubber Mounted Wheel have been a better choice ???
Thanks a mill for the video
It was some inspiration
regards
aRM

pineyfolks

Active User
Registered
First off great job on your grinder! Anyone on the cheap like me and wanting rubber drive wheels this is what I did. I found some rubber boat trailer rollers on clearance $5 , they were 6" OD and 3" wide. I cut them to 2" on my saw and made a hub. My grinder is reversible so I drive with the rubber wheel and grind on it depending on what I'm doing. It's held up good so far.

100_6758.JPG 100_6761.JPG

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
KennyD
Your machine has finished beautifully
We like Your designs for the different positioned RESTS
Just saw the pics in Your album - they are a superb assistance
Just one more question though.
We note that U are using an aluminium Drive wheel on the Motor and not a rubber mounted wheel
Your belt did not seem to slip on start up ???
Would not a Rubber Mounted Wheel have been a better choice ???
Thanks a mill for the video
It was some inspiration
regards
aRM
Thanks.
Slippage is not a problem at all, the driver is slightly grooved for traction, and with the VFD the motor starts and stops gently. There is no need IMHO for a rubber coated driver, and no grinders I looked at when researching all of this had them either. It is however slightly crowned, as is the tracing wheel on the tension arm.

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
First off great job on your grinder! Anyone on the cheap like me and wanting rubber drive wheels this is what I did. I found some rubber boat trailer rollers on clearance $5 , they were 6" OD and 3" wide. I cut them to 2" on my saw and made a hub. My grinder is reversible so I drive with the rubber wheel and grind on it depending on what I'm doing. It's held up good so far.
Nice job!

Dan

Active User
Registered
Nice looking 2x72 belt grinders.

It is quite common for knife makers to build their own belt grinders.

I built one too a few years ago based on the KMG design. Definitely the way to go!

Quick configuration changes quick belt changes!

I bought my contact wheels from Sunray, 8" and 10" I think it was around 300 bucks. The drive wheel and traction wheel I got from a knife supply place, I forget where.

The rest of the wheels I made myself.

I figured I would buy a lathe instead of a grinder, that way I could use the lathe to build the grinder.

Best

Dan

SANY0019.JPG SANY0029.JPG SANY0035.JPG SANY0378.JPG SANY0380.JPG

Wizard69

Registered
Update 3/5/13:
I added some pictures of the work rest that I built to the Picasa album, it still needs a little fine tuning but it is very functional now.

Also, I made a short video showing some details and operation, it's in HD so you can watch it full screen if you want:
Well done with the video! Excellent job with the grinder too!

[6]
[5] [7]