2x72 Belt Grinder Build

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
I started a Picasa Albums with build pictures and captions, I will update the thread as I add new pictures. Currently it is functional, but I still have work to do on the tool arms, and I am making a cabinet for it to set on.

"Grinder in a Box" Picasa Album

It is based in this kit Grinder in a Box from the Polar Bear Forge.

I looked at them all, the EERF and the GIB was in the top two, having all the major pieces already cut in the GIB kit was the deciding factor for me. I researched these for a LONG time...

The problem is the wheels, you will spend big $$$ on them. I have over $500 in them alone, all purchased the from Rob at KMG Industrial Belt Grinders, Beaumont Metal Works

You can search for endless hours thinking you will find them cheaper/better like me and everybody else, or you can just suck it up and buy from them. Then a motor, and a VFD if you want variable speed...you will easily spend $1200+ building one.

Making the drive and idler wheels at home is doable, but the contact wheels are another story with the rubber on them. After looking at the price of the stock, high speed bearings, and my time I just decided to buy everything. I know, not very DIY-ish but a man has to know his limits, and I wanted this thing up-and-running quickly (turned out not to be the case anyway however).

I found the Dayton 3HP, 3PH, 3450RPM washdown motor locally on CL for $100, I thought that was a good deal. 2HP or ever 1.5HP is plenty however. I wanted a 3 phase so I could add a VFD and have variable speed. In my research that seemed important, and I enjoy that feature on my mill and lathe as well. I needed the 3540 RPM motor because the 1725's will turn to slow for effective use.

Why did I go this route?
-I wanted to build one. I know that I bought a "kit" and pre-made wheels, but I can still customize it along the way-making it mine.
-I really liked and wanted the "KMG" style of grinder with the quick-change tool arms, that way you can make any style you want (I am making two different ones). Another reason I chose the GIB kit is I really liked the second receiver for a tool rest arm rather than having to adapt a tool rest to the tool arm. (I hope that make sense?)
-I like the super fast belt changes with this style grinder.
-I liked the hard mounted motor and direct drive, seemed simpler and more professional looking than having a separate motor with jackshafts, pulleys, and belts. But if you want to use a 1 phase motor this may not be the best choice since you could not vary the speed like you could having a separately mounted motor and step pulley's.
-The GIB is basically the same as the EERF, but it has the extra receiver for the tool rest arm.
-(spaced reserved for more reasons when I think of them)

Some other ones I looked at:
Beaumont Metal Works, Manufacturer of Industrial belt grinders and finishing equipment

Polar Bear Forge (already linked above)

Blindhogg custom gunworks

No Weld Grinder

Grinders

Home

Here is a long thread on BladeForums about a GIB build (not mine, I am not a member) it has LOTS of great info and pictures: Grinder in a box! DIY grinder kit

IMG_1525.jpg IMG_1554.jpg IMG_1553.jpg IMG_1524.jpg IMG_1510.jpg

That's a nice looking machine you have there. Good job!

That's a super sweet, professional looking build there. I've also built a 2X72 belt grinder that I built a few years ago for my knife-making hobby, but I'm almost ashamed to speak of it after seeing yours. It's one hell of a dangerous-looking kludge, but it works, and I paid less than 100$ to build it. here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5duTeuqFE. I've put probably 500 hours on it in the past 4 years and it works great, no incidents yet.

That's a super sweet, professional looking build there. I've also built a 2X72 belt grinder that I built a few years ago for my knife-making hobby, but I'm almost ashamed to speak of it after seeing yours. It's one hell of a dangerous-looking kludge, but it works, and I paid less than 100$ to build it. here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5duTeuqFE. I've put probably 500 hours on it in the past 4 years and it works great, no incidents yet.
Thank you very much, I appreciate the compliments. Yours is pretty cool as well:thumbsup:

HOLY SMOKES! That's a nice looking machine. Thank's for posting the build.

That is nice, I built one of the KMG clones and am planning on building another.

She's BEAUTIFUL! As usual another Kenny masterpiece. Thanks for the post and info Ken.

Kennyd, that is a nice job on the grinder build.

I have a KMG that I use all the time. I need to take a closer look at the GIB for a second grinder.

Craig

Back