2x72 Belt Grinder Build

Update 12-16-12

I added some more pictures showing the progress in the last two weeks or so.

I build a stand for it, got all the final high and low voltage wiring completed, now I am working on the tool/work rest's for the two different attachments.

More to come soon...

Hi there Kenny
That's a lot of exceptional work U put there in that Grinder.
It looks strong, sturdy and powerful.
However, we don't know why U have chosen a very fast motor for it. Would not a 1400 RPM have sufficed ??
We want to build one of these and always liked the 3-4 wheel running design with a direct driven VSD Motor.
Only thing is we will have to make the usual changes to accommodate our metric sizes for all construction and belt sizes.
Will need to re-look at the original GIB and order the base material from him.
Do post pics of Your finished rests and final set up.
Would like to pick Your brains and expertise when we start with ours - if that's OK with You ???
Thanks a mill for showing.
aRM

ARM, thanks for the compliments. A 1400 RPM motor will not provide the needed SFM for adequate material removal. With the 3600 RPM motor and the VFD you have all the speed one would ever need for hogging a lot of material quickly, and you can dial it down for delicate work as well.

There is good info in the links I provided above as well.

It is possible to use a 1760 rpm motor. If you set it up with 2 pulleys and a bely then you can get whatever speed you want simply by changing the pulley sizes. Also some vfds have a 2x jumper to run the 3phase motor at twice the rpm.

Many grinders out there are running at 5500 sfpm to allow the ceramic belts to work at their best.

ARM, thanks for the compliments. A 1400 RPM motor will not provide the needed SFM for adequate material removal. With the 3600 RPM motor and the VFD you have all the speed one would ever need for hogging a lot of material quickly, and you can dial it down for delicate work as well.

There is good info in the links I provided above as well.

KENNYD
Hi and compliments of the Season to one and all

May we assume that motor of Yours would be a 2HP, 1.5 KW, 'cos that's what we found powerful enough ??
As we mentioned previously, we are still quite interested in learning which method of REST U would be building for this Machine.
There are some nifty ones on the links U kindly provided !!!
Do remember to post pics of Your finally finished fancy Machine !!!
Thanks a Mill and
Take Care
aRM

KENNYD
Hi and compliments of the Season to one and all

May we assume that motor of Yours would be a 2HP, 1.5 KW, 'cos that's what we found powerful enough ??
As we mentioned previously, we are still quite interested in learning which method of REST U would be building for this Machine.
There are some nifty ones on the links U kindly provided !!!
Do remember to post pics of Your finally finished fancy Machine !!!
Thanks a Mill and
Take Care
aRM

Mine is a 3HP 3450RPM motor as stated in the first post. 2HP would be plenty however. I may be working on the rest this weekend...I will update the thread as progress continues.

Update 3/5/13:
I added some pictures of the work rest that I built to the Picasa album, it still needs a little fine tuning but it is very functional now.

Also, I made a short video showing some details and operation, it's in HD so you can watch it full screen if you want:

[video=youtube_share;r1x2ppeX66w]http://youtu.be/r1x2ppeX66w[/video]

That's a beautiful piece of work. I built a 2"x 48" belt grinder about 20 years ago it is still going strong. I used a v belt and pulleys to get the belt speed up to 5200 fpm.
It was only because of the lack of large rubber tired wheel that I couldn't more closely model the Baldor that was my inspiration. So....

One question - how did you come up with the rubber tired wheel?

Thanks Michael

That's a beautiful piece of work. I built a 2"x 48" belt grinder about 20 years ago it is still going strong. I used a v belt and pulleys to get the belt speed up to 5200 fpm.
It was only because of the lack of large rubber tired wheel that I couldn't more closely model the Baldor that was my inspiration. So....

One question - how did you come up with the rubber tired wheel?

Thanks Michael
Thanks for the compliments Michael, I appreciate i very much.

I sourced all the wheels from Rob at http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/ as stated in the first post.

:man::man::man::man::man::man:

Back