2x72 belt grinder build

My hats off to you for all of the work involved.
Wife gets most of the credit, she does the daily chores, feeding, cleaning the barn, passing out hay. I do tend to work with the stallions some, training them in basic manners and handling. And I empty the manure spreader, which I need to do today.

This project has languished on the sidelines as I work on building the new shop. The recent combination of missing the machining work, and slowing down on finishing the shop due to a break in the budget, meant I spent a bit of time on it in the last couple of days. Got the platten and table finished, other than needing a small lip on the bottom of the platten for the glass facing. Still need to make the tensioner/tracking arm.

IMG_4607.JPGIMG_4608.JPGIMG_4609.JPGIMG_4610.JPG

The last picture shows the table rotated 90 degrees to facilitate edge sanding. If you look back through the CAD design, the whole base/motor rotates so that the edge sanding can be done in a horizontal orientation, I currently just have things clamped together so rotating the whole base is not currently trivial. I need to make the clamping bolts and misc little pieces as well. This things is going to be incredibly heavy, that's what I get for overbuilding everything.

Anyhow, back to building the new shop. Got to crawl under the house (crawl space, barely) and hook up the water line.

Last edited:
Looks very nice. That's a problem with a "bomb-proof" design, it's really heavy. That's the classic story they tell in welding class of the apprentice's toolbox. So heavy, he couldn't lift it! Being sturdy and slightly heavy is fine. Having an apprentice toolbox made from 1/4" plate, is not so good!

Good luck with the water. Hate doing the crawl space thing...

Looks very nice. That's a problem with a "bomb-proof" design, it's really heavy. That's the classic story they tell in welding class of the apprentice's toolbox. So heavy, he couldn't lift it! Being sturdy and slightly heavy is fine. Having an apprentice toolbox made from 1/4" plate, is not so good!

Good luck with the water. Hate doing the crawl space thing...
Hadn't heard the apprentice's toolbox story before, that's a great anecdote.

Got the crawl space part done, lots of cussing involved. Now just need to put a hydrant at the other end, I'm putting that just outside the shop door, no indoor plumbing.

Hadn't heard the apprentice's toolbox story before, that's a great anecdote.

Got the crawl space part done, lots of cussing involved. Now just need to put a hydrant at the other end, I'm putting that just outside the shop door, no indoor plumbing.
really, why not? When your hands get so oily, no place to wash them? I wish I had running water.

really, why not? When your hands get so oily, no place to wash them? I wish I had running water.
That requires a place for the water to go. A connection to a septic tank would be the typical answer. The shop is slightly downhill of the septic tank. Adding "indoor plumbing" changes the tax base too. Having a water hydrant right outside the door means I can still wash my hands easily enough.

The grinder is looking great.

I'll bet that "no indoor plumbing" statement becomes false fairly soon.
I'm predicting a utility sink (probably on the other side of the wall from the hydrant).
Water for grinder pots, coffee making, washing hands, etc. The list could go MUCH longer.
Just plumb the drain into a French drain run and don't dump anything crazy in there (I know you wouldn't).
Protecting that tiny amount of plumbing from freeze damage is too easy to be a problem.

OK, tell me why "no indoor plumbing".

Do your Tax appraisers make unannounced visits?

You could run a garden hose, with a quick connect, through a hole in the wall.

We'll see.

Do your Tax appraisers make unannounced visits?

You could run a garden hose, with a quick connect, through a hole in the wall.

We'll see.
Actually yes they do. About every 3 years. Of course they don't go inside of anything.

If I was to go through the work of putting in a french drain, I'd put in a tank and an appropriate leaching field. It's really not that hard to do when you have an excavator, already did one over at the barns, permits and all. Just have to map out enough room to frame up a small bathroom on that side of the building. I don't see it happening soon, but yes, I have thought through what it would take. Cheaper than the overhead bridge crane ;)

Actually yes they do. About every 3 years. Of course they don't go inside of anything.

If I was to go through the work of putting in a french drain, I'd put in a tank and an appropriate leaching field. It's really not that hard to do when you have an excavator, already did one over at the barns, permits and all. Just have to map out enough room to frame up a small bathroom on that side of the building. I don't see it happening soon, but yes, I have thought through what it would take. Cheaper than the overhead bridge crane ;)
BTW you could always get one of the wash stations like the porta john people supply. So not totally necessary, but removing the waste is the same old, same old.

Back