2x72 belt grinder build

Not trying to "kick you out the door" into retirement early, but I was advised that if you are truly retired, you can touch your 401K starting at age 55 without the 10% penalty. Something about taking out substantially equal amounts based on life expectancy. If your job stinks, you may check into it. I waited until I was 62+ to retire; didn't hate what I did, worked with good people. It was getting harder and harder to get up at 5:30 AM though, glad I retired!

Bruce
Bruce,
The quick version is that I retired in 2019, moved from Georgia to Indiana, and a whole host of other 'stuff'.

The long detailed story: Yes, you can take "substantially equal payments" over 5 years from a 401k if you start before 59 1/2. But I was in a university job that made me eligible for a 457(b), and some other IRS stuff. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2017, and spent 2018 getting treated. I officially retired mid 2019 after burning about 2000 hours of sick leave during treatment, etc. I had over 30 years so was eligible by university rule. My money was not in a 401k but rather a 403(b) and 457(b) IIRC. Those were managed plans with limited investing options, BUT the IRS allows you to retire from those at 55 1/2. At retirement I could role money out of those 403/457 for 6 months (?), or it would be locked into those plans, run by AIG Valic, which in my opinion does not have a great reputation, and TIAA/CREF. I preferred to move my money into a rollover IRA through Schwab allowing me to invest much more broadly, have a lot more control over my money, etc, but could not be accessed until 59 1/2 except under the 5 year substantially equal payment clause. Rather than using that clause, I left enough money in the 457/403 to provide an income until 59 1/2. To build the new shop I actually cashed some, but not all of the 457/403 money out, although much of the shop was paid by the last of some money I had from previous property. So currently I'm living on slightly less monthly allotment than I planned, which means I can't quite finish out some of the details of the shop as fast as I'd like. But I'm retired, not hurting financially, I'm having fun, and my wife and I are happy. Sorry if that is more than you wanted to know!!!

I do appreciate the thought/suggestion. I enjoyed my job, but after some tough career decisions (that would be a long but dull novel), I was also tired of living in Atlanta, a 4 hours drive from my wife and farm/horses. Retirement is good. I had planned to work until 59 1/2, and would have had the money to build a nicer retirement home than the manufactured home we ended up in, but with the unknowns caused by aggressive/advanced cancer, it was time.

Last edited:
@Dhal22
If you think about needing to keep a sewer line below the frost line, you’d have to bury the pump in the ground to work.

I've been plumbing since '85 but in the south so didn't think about you dealing with freezing conditions. You could put the pump basin inside the building but the forced main would have to be below frost line.

Bruce,
The quick version is that I retired in 2019, moved from Georgia to Indiana, and a whole host of other 'stuff'.
Sounds like a VERY sound plan! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your completed shop! You've got me thinking about adding a mini-split in mine.

Bruce

You've got me thinking about adding a mini-split in mine.
Between the house, the new shop, and the shop at the barns, I have six compressors (outdoor units) driving 9 indoor sections. Obviously I'm sold on them.

I may have missed it, but do you have a brand recommendation? I don't really a heater, but I am in the market for an AC unit. For the shop I'm thinking just a window type 24,000 BTU unit. But for the house I kind of like the Mini-split option.

I may have missed it, but do you have a brand recommendation? I don't really a heater, but I am in the market for an AC unit. For the shop I'm thinking just a window type 24,000 BTU unit. But for the house I kind of like the Mini-split option.
I'm using the Pioneer brand models, which I've ordered through highseer.com/pdhvac.com. I have been happy with them but have not used any other brands/models so can't comment on the different brands. I do really prefer the mini-split over a window unit. Quiter, doesn't block the window, and more energy efficient.

I have 5 indoor units in our house, one for each bedroom, one for the kitchen and one for the living room. Being able to set the temperature individually, or only cool/heat one room at a time, is a great energy ($) saver. We do have a central gas heat which handles the majority of winter weather heating. The heat pump heating loses efficiency as you get near freezing temperatures and below.

Well after a bit of hiatus due to moving things into the new shop, I'm back to work on this. I'm not really done with moving/organizing, but I would rather organize and arrange stuff while working on a project, I can only spend so much time on chores before I get eager to go back to building something. I need to afix the glass platten, make the top roller, and re-make the hub for the large drive wheel as my earlier attempt has a bit too much play on the motor shaft.
Then I'll need to paint it, wire up the VFD to the motor and build a stand for it. May also want to put a guard over the top front roller to avoid getting sand blasted in the face, but a test run will decide that.
IMG_4737.JPG

Last edited:
Test run
Made a base, two 60lb bags of concrete and a 3" round tube. Got the VFD mounted in a cabinet on the back. First time actually running it with a belt on. Works pretty well. Total thing weighs 290 lbs .I originally had some cheap bearings in the roller wheels. Two of the three wheels ran hot, the bearings were dragging. Replaced those with some better bearings (I had already suspected they would be problematic). I also need to add a spring to the tracking adjustment to prevent creep. I threaded that for 3/8" 16 (UNC) in retrospect UNF would have been a better choice.
IMG_4748.JPGIMG_4749.JPGIMG_4750.JPG

Need to mount the glass on the platten, put a filter on the top of the VFD cabinet, make a place to mount the FWD/OFF/REV switch and speed adjustment potentiometer, and then disassemble and paint the whole thing. I'm going to remove the side square mount that I was pondering for adding a disc.

I'll try to update the FreeCad plans and post those in few days to reflect the updates and enhancements.

Back