2x72 belt grinder build

Ok, this part is more or less complete, except for a hole for each arm to hold it in the guides, and a hole through the top right ear for the spring cylinger. Painting will wait for everything to be finished. This base is the most complicated part by far in this design. Everything else is built up on this. Lots of welding, always interesting to mix welding and machining. This part is mostly built out of 3/8" HRS, except the arm guides which are 2" x .75" CRS. This isn't going to be a light weight tool.
IMG_4316.JPGIMG_4317.JPG
IMG_4318.JPGIMG_4319.JPG
IMG_4320.JPG

Last edited:
I'm late to the party but have punched "watch".

Your having the larger, heavier duty machines fits. You build things SOLID.
What diameter will the disc be?

Looking very good.

Regarding your comment about the rotary table needing a rebuild. It's my experience that many RTs have the worm mounted in an eccentric which makes backlash adjustment very easy. Maybe you can minimize the excessive backlash without a rebuild.

You're a pilot, right? Yaw, pitch, roll. Your mill head doesn't have pitch (commonly nod in milling machines) adjustability, but does have roll. LOL

Ok, this part is more or less complete, except for a hole for each arm to hold it in the guides, and a hole through the top right ear for the spring cylinger. Painting will wait for everything to be finished. This base is the most complicated part by far in this design. Everything else is built up on this. Lots of welding, always interesting to mix welding and machining. This part is mostly built out of 3/8" HRS, except the arm guides which are 2" x .75" CRS. This isn't going to be a light weight tool.
View attachment 393329View attachment 393330
View attachment 393331View attachment 393332
View attachment 393333
looking good. for some reason I am not getting notification on this... today was the first notification only a moment ago, all the other posts have gone by without a single notification...

Looks good, I like the use of light stitch welds. Rarely a need for full length welds on something like this. There's not a lot of torque, pressure on these.

@Janderso
Pics incoming!
Here's welding the supports for the arms to the motor base. First I opened the plug weld holes up to 3/4" most of the way through, left the 3/8" hole at the bottom. I clamped up the arms and the support brackets to the base to get a good fit, and then welded. Not delighted with this weld job. I welded these with my MIG box, I should have used the TIG so I could back off on the power near the top and fill them without undercutting. I did a rough milling pass to clean up the welds. I guess a bit of auto body putty and it will look great :oops:

Last picture is one of the pivot arms clamped into place, welding both of those in will be next but I want to set up a spacer rod to keep them parallel.

View attachment 392848View attachment 392850
View attachment 392849View attachment 392851
View attachment 392852
so you didn't pin any of these before welding, you relied on clamping up? I would be nervous doing that. With my welding and jigging, I might wind up doing many repairs to the alignment.

@extropic
The design is for a 9" disc. Certainly enough HP (2 HP 3 phase motor w/ VFD) to go with a larger disc but the disc is mounted directly on the motor bearings, and the disc is sort of an afterthought, not the primary purpose. "Because I can" kind of thing.

Yep, I have a mill with no elevator (pitch). Use to own a plane and CFI/II, have’t flown in more than a decade due to medical issues

so you didn't pin any of these before welding, you relied on clamping up? I would be nervous doing that. With my welding and jigging, I might wind up doing many repairs to the alignment.
I did the plug welds first. Those tend to cause a lot less problems with distortion.

Randall, This is a 1hp 12" sander , so you have way more hp than a 9
True. The disc sander is not the primary purpose here, the belt is. The constraint on the disc is really that the table for the disc is limited to one support arm, otherwise it makes the 2x72 belt captive. With that setup as the table gets larger it gets less stable. Also the disc is completely dependent on the motor bearings as designed, larger disc means more stress on those.

True. The disc sander is not the primary purpose here, the belt is. The constraint on the disc is really that the table for the disc is limited to one support arm, otherwise it makes the 2x72 belt captive. With that setup as the table gets larger it gets less stable. Also the disc is completely dependent on the motor bearings as designed, larger disc means more stress on those.
just saying. the delta is also a direct drive. I hear you on the belt being captive. I probably would rather have a dedicated machine for both.

Back