2x72 belt grinder build

@jwmay, @WobblyHand
Credit to both of you for being willing and capable of doing delicate precision work. I have done some shallow DOC turning with a parting tool, and it is certainly possible as you've demonstrated. As WobblyHand knows, I have big machines and tend towards the hit it with a bigger hammer approach, sometimes slow and patient is the necessary way to get it done. If I plan on something being time consuming I can usually apporach it that way. But when I'm not expecting it, I get frustrated and that is when I start missing my numbers being careless.

I really like how you’ve modelled the parts and then make them. That’s so helpful for me to see how everything goes together.

Credit to both of you for being willing and capable of doing delicate precision work
Have you seen my lathe? Ha! I don't have much option other than being delicate! But I realize now that you're probably right on. Being that .010-.030" is about as much as I ever take off at a time, the tools are well within their range of being abused in other ways.
I'm impressed with your project. Thanks very much for sharing it with us.

UPS delivered my aluminum CCGT inserts despite the roads still being icy. I went ahead and cut one roller, and put together the whole assembly. Aluminum outer wheel still needs a slight crown for belt tracking.
IMG_4377.JPGIMG_4378.JPG
IMG_4380.JPGIMG_4381.JPGroller2-3d.jpeg

@davidpbest
Turns out I already have one Kennametal top notch tool. This was included with some drill bits in an auction find. Alone it is worth more used than I paid for that lot. It is a size 3 so I’ll buy a matching right hand tool. A package of inserts gets pricey so it’s worth staying with the same size.

Iscar has some matching inserts for a few $ less than the kennametal inserts on carbidedepot.com. Any experience with that series? I’ve generally had good luck with Iscar 9D87E460-FEE5-47DB-983E-0B7C5847628B.jpegC652CE13-7B47-420C-90ED-FE64B89E0968.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like how you’ve modelled the parts and then make them. That’s so helpful for me to see how everything goes together.
It’s been a fun experience fir me. This thing is also complicated enough that I would have a hard time doing it on paper.

So, is this band saw your design from scratch? It's been fun following along as you make parts and put it together.

Oops.... I meant belt sander. I had bandsaw on my mind. While I was typing I was talking to my wife about using our bandsaw today.

None the less it looks like you are doing a great job and it has been enjoyable following along.

@davidpbest
Turns out I already have one Kennametal top notch tool. This was included with some drill bits in an auction find. Alone it is worth more used than I paid for that lot. It is a size 3 so I’ll buy a matching right hand tool. A package of inserts gets pricey so it’s worth staying with the same size.

Iscar has some matching inserts for a few $ less than the kennametal inserts on carbidedepot.com. Any experience with that series? I’ve generally had good luck with Iscar View attachment 395285View attachment 395286
Randal, I don't have any experience with the Iscar Top Notch inserts, but see no reason why they wouldn't be an excellent choice. Dorian also makes inserts in this style under the brand name Dor Notch - sometimes you can find them on eBay. That said, I don't immediately see how you'd employ that boring bar for the shouldered operation you were asking about a while back. Also, keep in mind, that the size 3 Top Notch inserts are available with a variety of threading profiles (including Acme) in case you need to do some serious internal threading.

Back