2X72 Grinder, 2HP 3Phase Motor with 3HP VFD

Grey

Registered
Registered
Building a grinder with a 2HP 3Phase Motor and a 3HP VFD. Currently have a CAD model designed for it and need to produce the drawings.
Parts so far in hand or on the way.

Amazon Consumables:
2 X 72 Inch Flexible Aluminum Oxide Premium Quality Multipurpose Sanding Belts 60, 80, 120, 220, 320, 400 Grit, 6 Pack Assortment
Sold by: Red Label Abrasives
$19.49

Red Label Abrasives 2 X 72 Inch 36 Grit Aluminum Oxide Metal Sanding Belts, 6 Pack
Sold by: Red Label Abrasives
$23.49

Surplus Center Parts:
2 HP 3500 RPM 230/460 3Ph TEFC Motor
Item Number: 10-2899
Sold by: Surplus Center
$129.95

Amazon Parts:
LAPOND High Performance VFD Inverter VFD Drive 2.2KW 220V 3HP 9.6A,Variable Frequency Drive for Motor Speed Control,SVD-PS Series
Sold by: LAPOND
$124.96

Belt Grinder 2"x72" Polyamide Wheels 4" Drive 7/8" bore 3" track 2" Idler
Sold by: TALENT HANDS
Return eligible through Nov 4, 2020
$90.00

Steel Key Stock, Standard Tolerance, 3/16" Thickness, 1/4" Width, 12" Length (Pack of 1)
Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
$7.26

Sydien 6 Pcs Alloy Steel Hexagon Socket Head Shoulder Screw Bolt 1/2" Shoulder Dia, 1-1/2" Shoulder Length, 3/8"-16 UNC Thread
Sold by: Saidien
$18.99

Stens 235-086 Wheel Bolt, 1/2in x 2in, Replaces Snapper 7091526SM (Pack of 10)
$21.05

Amazon Attachment:
Happybuy 8x2inch Belt Grinder Rubber Wheel Serrated Rubber Contact Wheel 6206 Bearing Belt Grinder Wheel for 2x72inch Knife Making Grinder
Sold by: Happibuy
$43.99

̶ ̶ ̶ ̶D̶o̶n̶e̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶R̶8̶ ̶2̶R̶S̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶r̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶1̶/̶2̶ ̶x̶1̶-̶1̶/̶8̶ ̶x̶5̶/̶1̶6̶ ̶I̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶A̶B̶E̶C̶3̶ ̶H̶i̶g̶h̶ ̶S̶p̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶M̶i̶n̶i̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶B̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶E̶l̶e̶c̶t̶r̶i̶c̶ ̶M̶o̶t̶o̶r̶,̶ ̶W̶h̶e̶e̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶H̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶A̶p̶p̶l̶i̶a̶n̶c̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶G̶a̶r̶d̶e̶n̶ ̶M̶a̶c̶h̶i̶n̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶(̶1̶0̶ ̶P̶a̶c̶k̶)̶ ̶ ̶
̶ ̶ ̶ ̶S̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶:̶ ̶A̶A̶ ̶P̶a̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶S̶t̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶ ̶
̶ ̶ ̶ ̶$̶9̶.̶4̶9̶ NOT REQUIRED

Amazon Electronics:
Yohii 300Watt 70 Ohm Aluminum Housing Wirewound Braking Resistor Solder Lug Silver ToneTerminals
Sold by: Dylan.F
$17.59

̶ ̶ ̶ ̶2̶p̶c̶s̶ ̶R̶V̶2̶4̶Y̶N̶2̶0̶S̶ ̶S̶i̶n̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶T̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶b̶o̶n̶ ̶F̶i̶l̶m̶ ̶R̶o̶t̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶T̶a̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶P̶o̶t̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶m̶e̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶U̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶I̶n̶v̶e̶r̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶u̶l̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶M̶o̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶ ̶+̶ ̶2̶p̶c̶s̶ ̶A̶0̶3̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶b̶ ̶+̶ ̶2̶p̶c̶s̶ ̶d̶i̶a̶l̶s̶ ̶(̶B̶1̶0̶3̶ ̶1̶0̶K̶ ̶o̶h̶m̶)̶ ̶ ̶
̶ ̶ ̶ ̶S̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶:̶ ̶S̶E̶A̶-̶G̶U̶L̶L̶ ̶ ̶
̶ ̶ ̶ ̶$̶1̶1̶.̶8̶8̶ NEED 5K INSTEAD.

POWERTEC 71007 110/220V Paddle Switch, 2.25
$12.82

uxcell AC 115/250V 30A CW4E-30A-S Noise Suppressor Power EMI Filter
$25.40

Uxcell a12022900ux0327 Power Transformer Ferrite Toroid Cores (Pack of 10),green
$10.13

Edit: 10/15/20
I failed to mention this is initially for a Ranger 250 GXT to supply 220v single phase power.
Edit: 10/22/20
Should have waited and read the actual manual or received actual parts. Product info on amazon is selfom complete or correct. I would have avoided the one of the errors if I read everything in the info as it was contradictory. Bearings for the 8 inch wheel are 50mm x 30mm, so not a direct replacement for 1-1/8 x 1/2. LoL I should have just looked a little bit close and would have seen the info mismatch from the top of the page and the bottom of the page.
The VFD manual calls out 5K trim pots. The increased resistance will bring up the amps beyound the halfway(5K) point.

Last edited:
I second @Aukia on the ceramic belts, much better than the AO. They produce less heat and last longer. Otherwise, it looks like you have a good shopping list.

Also, for your VFD, consider 4HP minimum, maybe 5HP to be safe. I know for mills and other machinery, they recommend the VFD's HP doubles your motor's horse power. Be sure to post photos of your build. A belt grinder is on my to do/acquire list.

@Grey,

You are off to a great start!

I hope you can share some CAD drawings and photos too!

-brino

Also, for your VFD, consider 4HP minimum, maybe 5HP to be safe. I know for mills and other machinery, they recommend the VFD's HP doubles your motor's horse power. Be sure to post photos of your build. A belt grinder is on my to do/acquire list.

I've heard this is for running 3ph input VFDs on single phase. I run 2HP motors on 2HP single phase VFDs without any issues. At lower power levels, single phase input VFDs are common and you don't need to derate them.

I grind on a 2x72 for lathe tooling and some finishing. It's great. Ceramic 36 grit will eat cobalt HSS like crazy.

As far as I know, no one does that (over-rating) and there haven't been any ill consequences, at least as reported here.

Last edited:
As far as I was able to gather, up sizing the VFD by 1 was what was needed. Hence the boost from 2HP to 3HP. Also seeing this will be my first venture with VFD's I didn't want to blow up too much money like on the 4th of July.

Ceramic belts I will check into. I have a Blaze Belt on the to buy list but they are out of stock, though can't remember its material construction. Above belts are for wood, aluminum, and chinesium. Ah just checked, the Norton Blazes are ceramic alumina.

Will post drawings and pictures soon. Amazon is spreading out my orders over the next 4 days. Got my key stock and one set of belts today though.

Up sizing VFD's is generally not required if one follows the appropriate derating for the operating conditions described in the manual and match it to the motor load (amps). These have more to do with the type of load, operating carrier frequency, ambient temperature, etc. One also sizes the VFD to the output operating amps, not necessarily the Hp/kW rating. If one is close to the maximum rated output, or there is an unusual high operating load/conditions then one may up-size. The 2X upsizing has more to do with 3 phase input VFD's being operated with single phase input power, there is some variation in how this is determined and the degree of derating can vary significantly between different VFD manufactures. Some of the newer VFD's the derating is 3X for sIngle phase input on a 3 phase model. There can also be significant cost with going to a larger VFD, this also has to do with the input side of the VFD has to be rated at the full load of the VFD x 125%, not what the operating load is on the output.

Most times where individuals move to the next size up VFD has more to do with the quality of the VFD and in some cases the application. With mainstream VFD manufactures up-sizing is not needed if used in accordance with the manual (this includes 100% duty), but in few cases I recommend going to the next size up if one thinks they may go to a bigger motor down the line/very difficult load, otherwise not. Generic Chinese VFD's are a bit of a different situation, the components are often marginal and the output rating do not match the components used, tracings and terminals. They are not built as robustly as mainstream VFDs, often may not meet a country specific electrical requirements, and have a fairly high DOA. As well as a number of other issues relating to quality and longevity. My experience and others, it seems that if they work up front for the first 24 hours, then they are likely to last. Up rating to the next size may be worthwhile, and seems to be frequently the case, providing the price is right.

The Chinese generic VFDs seem to be the only ones that have "single phase" input VFD's in the 5-10 Hp range, but often how well/long they work is application specific. Some people have had success, others have smoked a few and given up. In this case with case with a grinder it is a very basic task, issues may be of sustained operation/heat and grit would be concerns. I have also had more issues of motor tuning/compatibility with these VFD's so they do not always play nicely with some motors/machines.

Concept at the moment. Basically what I have seen else where with slight alterations. Has a rotational mass of roughly 50/55lbs. I haven't weighted the individual wheels nor do I have the plate and gussets that will support the motor. I would estimate 55lbs being the high side. There will be a leverage arm for positioning and mounted to a pedestal. There will be some alterations to allow for full angular adjustment of the table as well as full belt travel of the table when in horizontal position.

G2X72HC1.PNGG2X72VC1.PNG

Back