2x72 grinder?

danny12

Registered
Registered
Hello Folks,

I'm in the planning stages of building a grinder and as we all know their are as many designs as people to build them. And I think I have looked at all of them.

It appears as the TW-90 grinder is the Cadillac, My question is what sets it apart. Rigidity ,tracking, why is it better over other designs. Aside from vertical/horizontal. I'm wondering if all the extra work is worth it. I've never saw one in real life I'm not a knife maker nor do I plan to. but I need a grinder to get in a tight spot with a lot of get up and go........... And I need to learn to grind mikey's tool bits:grin big:

also if anyone has already done it I'd sure like a look at the drawings

Thanks Danny

Danny, that TW-90 is one snazzy grinder. I have not seen any drawings for it myself. Mine is a KMG clone but several others here have made some really nice grinders of their own design.
Good luck with your project, will be watching.

http://dcknives.blogspot.com/p/2-x-72-belt-grinder.html

That's what mine is based on. I wanted something reasonably easy to build without any need for fancy cutting tools. I didn't see much point in horizontal operation etc.. At least not for tool bits. And I bet I can grind a knife up nicely with it as well. I would like to work up a fancy work rest. Mine is adjustable, but I need a protractor to set the angle. Having a few common angles on a quick setup would be a good addition. One nice thing about the design, and many others, is that the rest is held on with simple tubing. So it's easy to make extras and swap them out as needed.

20180114_190414.jpg

Make sure that you blame @mikey. It's all the rage. :)

Looking forward to see what you build.

Oh, I want one and there is no denying that! Every time one of you guys shows us your grinder I'm going "Grrrrr ..."

Ha, sorry Mikey I couldn't resist,

But on a serious note, is the tracking better on the motor or does it really matter

You mean the tracking wheel?
That should not be the drive wheel.

I built a grinder from the plans on knifemaker.com.
It can be made a simple as a bolt together assembly or improved as you wish.
I made a combination of welded parts and assemblies and the finished unit has worked better than I had hoped.
It is exceptional for knife making and finishing but has also replaced almost all of my need for the two Baldor grinders I was using.
I have added additional belt holders and work platforms as needed for anything from pre-welding prep to tool grinding.
I have posted some photos of the project in the members project area under Cobra/Belt Grinder.

Back