3/16 - 32 Screw and VN Dividing Head Teardown

Just funnin with ya Tony, tryin to take the edge off a little. I talked to Eric, you got a full plate.

"Billy G" :))

You're telling me! I just gave him a sample of the entire tool I'm building. The rest of it, meaning mostly the other two stages of gear reduction, are already working. It's the high torque on the last stage that is killing us. I hope Eric can do me some good.

And thanks, I do get on the edge too much. As long as I don't go over it......

Why not chase the threads with a 10-32 tap. 3/16 32 would be the Sellars thread, not quite the same as UNF/UNC. Then you can buy screws anywhere.

Photos please.

Cal

VNDH1.JPG

Here is the pic of the worm/screw interface side. The holes you see in the face of the mounted part are where the (famous) 3/16-32 screws hold the Index plate on. The top little round hold is where the hold pin locks forward (toward the camera). The opposite side (not picture here) is simply a C spindle. I think the large ring gear (worm gear?) mounted needs to come off forward (toward camera).

Note the shiny worm screw and bare iron castings on the table - those have been through the mil-spec RamCo "bearing degreaser" followed by 90 min in my ultrasonic cleaner. I need to the get the "barrel" apart to give those similar treatment.

Screws:

I ordered some Zinc hex head 10-32 screws for $0.75. I am still looking for some 'plan old steel' ones - but no luck yet.

PS - there is a photo that accompanies this post but I have used 2.19MB of space on 8 attachments so far and I cannot upload anymore.

PPS - Fancy uploaded broke. "Basic uploader" works fine.

VNDH1.JPG

Zinc plating can be removed with an acid. Battery acid is very fast, but a little hazardous. I believe if you were patient, vinegar would also do. Would speed up to boil it. Don't leave them soaking in acid any longer than needed, and rinse thoroughly, then bake in your toaster-oven or someplace to liberate some of the hydrogen picked up from the acid.

MSC CLAIMS to have a 10-32 in steel. They also have some Fillister Head 1/4-20s for my mill in non-zinc, non-stainless - just steel. Works great because I had a 40% everything coupon from them (some kind of "we miss you" promotion).

So I grabbed up some 100 screw packs for 3 to 5 bucks each.

Would anyone benefit from an excel spreadsheet of the fasteners by type and size on a VN12? I am keeping one for myself so I know what I have ordered and what I need.

I know: It's an old thread. My 7 1/2 uses 10 - 32 for both the simple & compound plates. I bought a lot of 100 in the 1" length online from Albany Fasteners. They are the Allen Key type. I'll simply cut them down to the needed length for both types of plate. Really, the simple indexing plate doesn't need removing much - if ever - but I like not worrying with slipped flathead screwdrivers.

Back