3" 4-jaw independent Sanou mini lathe chuck K72-80

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello again,
I mounted my 3" 4-jaw chuck on my lathe and found that one of the jaws was very tight and after some travel locked. Took it off the lathe in an attempt to determine what the issue was thinking there was probably some swarf in the mechanism but I encountered some issues.

First there are no screws on the back of the chuck as my other chucks have but there are threaded plugs. What I mean is there are four plugs that are internally threaded 6mm. I'm guessing that these are press fit plugs to hold the worms in place and the threads are for a pulling device to remove them, perhaps?

Second the worm that locks has a large burr at the end of the worm and I suspect this is the problem. If I could get the worm out of the body I may be able to use a Dremel tool and grind away the burr. Obviously I don't want to do this while still assembled because I don't want any grit getting into the body.

So, am I right about the plugs and can this issue be remedied or is this chuck junk?

(Should have known better than to get a chuck from LMS. I usually regret my decision to get stuff from them because of the time to get it to me and if anything is wrong, they don't pay for return shipping so I just keep it and deal with it.)

Michael

Pictures are usually helpful. You may think your descriptions are the greatest ever, but pictures often tell a more complete story, because they show things that you may have omitted. Often the omitted details give others the context to help you.

My experiences with LMS have all been favorable. I managed to crash my lathe a while back (mentioned in a different thread) and they were very helpful in helping me rebuild it, including some gratis parts. Occasionally there have been some parts with issues, but they have been resolved to my satisfaction.

So show us some pictures!

Here you go.

Attachments

• 20221030_163957.jpg
    20221030_163957.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221030_164048.jpg
    20221030_164048.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221030_164216.jpg
    20221030_164216.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 25
I have seen a lot of 4J chucks, and that is a very common way of assembly, yes, the tapped holes are for removal of that part, but in spite of shipping cost, I think you should return it as unserviceable. If you do try to remove the plug, only remove it far enough to remove the screw to avoid alignment problems when reinstalling it, it could be difficult to align it properly with the slot in the screw.

So the worm adjuster has locked up in the body, but you were able to get the one jaw out. I would consider sending it back, even if
you have to pay the shipping back initially.
Talk to them, they are usually pretty good about taking stuff back and possibly they would split the cost of the shipping. They are dealing with
the variable quality of import goods like everyone else so try to cut them a little slack.
Of course if they decide to be difficult about it you can always contact your credit card company and get them involved.
-M

So the worm adjuster has locked up in the body, but you were able to get the one jaw out. I would consider sending it back, even if
you have to pay the shipping back initially.
Talk to them, they are usually pretty good about taking stuff back and possibly they would split the cost of the shipping. They are dealing with
the variable quality of import goods like everyone else so try to cut them a little slack.
Of course if they decide to be difficult about it you can always contact your credit card company and get them involved.
-M
It locks up at a certain point as I'm locating a part. If I back off, it loosens up. There are two jaws that I have this problem with.

I'd send it back. Has it always been this way? This your first use of the chuck? Are you thinking this is a manufacturing defect or shipping damage? (Was dropped?) If basically new, as received and not 100% functional, return and exchange for a new one.

I'd send it back. Has it always been this way? This your first use of the chuck? Are you thinking this is a manufacturing defect or shipping damage? (Was dropped?) If basically new, as received and not 100% functional, return and exchange for a new one.
To be honest, it was a bit tight from the start but I thought it just needed breaking in and some oil. I bought it at least a year ago for a project and rarely used it since until the other day. I think it's a manufacturing defect. It looks like the worm screw wasn't machined correctly. LMS is going to give me their simple answer, it's too old to replace, despite it's rarely been used. I'll try reaching out to them but like I said, I've never had a good experience with them and issues....

IE:
A vise I bought came with milling table locating blocks that were to be bolted to the bottom of the vise, They had the countersink for the bolt on the wrong side of the locating block - their answer, make new ones yourself, you're a machinist.
Bought a woodworking tool support that was machined incorrectly so it had a 12 degree tilt to the right - they refunded my money and told me to keep it. It's useless, threw it in the scrap bucket.
There's more incidents but I'll end it there.

To be honest, it was a bit tight from the start but I thought it just needed breaking in and some oil. I bought it at least a year ago for a project and rarely used it since until the other day. I think it's a manufacturing defect. It looks like the worm screw wasn't machined correctly. LMS is going to give me their simple answer, it's too old to replace, despite it's rarely been used. I'll try reaching out to them but like I said, I've never had a good experience with them and issues....

IE:
A vise I bought came with milling table locating blocks that were to be bolted to the bottom of the vise, They had the countersink for the bolt on the wrong side of the locating block - their answer, make new ones yourself, you're a machinist.
Bought a woodworking tool support that was machined incorrectly so it had a 12 degree tilt to the right - they refunded my money and told me to keep it. It's useless, threw it in the scrap bucket.
There's more incidents but I'll end it there.
I don't know what to say about your experiences.

I can say that I have generally had good experiences with LMS. Maybe that is because I bought my mini-lathe there. Everything I have bought there has been pretty good, and some of it outstanding. The blem toolmakers vise I bought is really terrific. There was the tiniest of literally microscopic imperfection on it, but from two feet away you can't even see it. The jaw lift on the vise is in tenths, which is very good.

I got a free gear shaft from them and a can of paint to refinish my lathe. I was very straightforward about my crashing, and admitted it to them. Just asked them how I could fix it. Not everything has been perfect - I did have to return an arbor and chuck- it just wasn't quite right. The taper was not a good fit and the tail stock chuck would move. They tried to argue with me, but I showed them the blued fit pictures.

Only advice is to ask nicely. There is an assumption that they are selling you working stuff, unless they explicitly say otherwise. Perhaps you can say this is your first (second?) use and you think the worm has a manufacturing defect that would be difficult for you to correct. I don't think they intended to sell you stuff that didn't work right... Then ask how you can both work it out. Usually a cooperative approach can bear fruit. It might cost you something, especially because of the long time delay, but spending a little to get an operative chuck is probably a good deal.

If you get no satisfaction, and can't meet part way, um, well, take it apart and fix it yourself.

Personally, I'd contact LMS first and explain what happened (you bought it, used it once, on second use it jammed up, and you found what you think is a manufacturing defect, and you'd like to work something out with them so both of you are happy...) Provide pictures to show what the issue is, it helps a lot. Keep any other issues or problems out of the discussion, or you will poison the well. My two cents. Good luck.

I don't know what to say about your experiences.

I can say that I have generally had good experiences with LMS. Maybe that is because I bought my mini-lathe there. Everything I have bought there has been pretty good, and some of it outstanding. The blem toolmakers vise I bought is really terrific. There was the tiniest of literally microscopic imperfection on it, but from two feet away you can't even see it. The jaw lift on the vise is in tenths, which is very good.

I got a free gear shaft from them and a can of paint to refinish my lathe. I was very straightforward about my crashing, and admitted it to them. Just asked them how I could fix it. Not everything has been perfect - I did have to return an arbor and chuck- it just wasn't quite right. The taper was not a good fit and the tail stock chuck would move. They tried to argue with me, but I showed them the blued fit pictures.

Only advice is to ask nicely. There is an assumption that they are selling you working stuff, unless they explicitly say otherwise. Perhaps you can say this is your first (second?) use and you think the worm has a manufacturing defect that would be difficult for you to correct. I don't think they intended to sell you stuff that didn't work right... Then ask how you can both work it out. Usually a cooperative approach can bear fruit. It might cost you something, especially because of the long time delay, but spending a little to get an operative chuck is probably a good deal.

If you get no satisfaction, and can't meet part way, um, well, take it apart and fix it yourself.

Personally, I'd contact LMS first and explain what happened (you bought it, used it once, on second use it jammed up, and you found what you think is a manufacturing defect, and you'd like to work something out with them so both of you are happy...) Provide pictures to show what the issue is, it helps a lot. Keep any other issues or problems out of the discussion, or you will poison the well. My two cents. Good luck.
Took your advise and sent LMS a nice email explaining the issues, along with photos, asking if there is something that can be done that's good for both of us. Not expecting a good outcome but, I tried.

Back