3/4hp variable speed dc motor with control, from an untapped source

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
today while going through ebay to find what ever i ran across a source of industrial dc motors i would have never thought of. in the sewing machine section i found a 3/4 hp 0-3500 dc motor with controller complete for $129.00 new free shipping. i bought one for my 9x20 lathe and will post how it works. a sewing machine needs the same torque running slow as it does running fast, i hope it works well if so i'll get another for the zx45's high speed spindle instead of converting it to 3 phase.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140895554335?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
steve

$(KGrHqF,!p0E9eFIsk9YBP(9SYnw)g~~60_1.jpg $(KGrHqN,!gsE8pHJOvzgBP(9SfUi5!~~60_57.jpg

Interesting,please do w/pics----Kroll

Yes Steve, I would be interested in how that turns out for sure!

Doc

Looks like a winner to me too, steve. The sewing machine idea is a winner and they are pretty heavy duty too. Let us know how you fit it on the lathe and how it works when you get the lathe finished.
Bob

the thing that has me wondering is the foot pedal lever but i'm sure it is electronic. you can see it in the pic if you look close.
we will see in about a week
steve

I don't see a foot pedal. I see a speed pot on the motor housing, and a switch on the fused power supply enclosure. I imagine you could easily relocate the speed pot to a remote location.

I am wondering if you could wire and configure that foot pedal to be like a foot break.. just incase something were to happen.

Now that you mention that.. the only thing that looks to me that would resemble a foot switch, may actually be the mounting bracket.

What you perceive to be the foot pedal is the mounting bracket. The "L" shaped piece is the belt tensioner. When mounted on the sewing machine that motor hangs down.

"Billy G" :thinking:

here is a pic showing location of foot pedal lever
on the mechanical clutch motors the motor runs all the time when you depress the pedal it engages the clutch and the more you press the faster it moves. on the servo type it turns the motor on the more you press the faster it goes untill it reaches the max speed you set on the dial.
steve

foot pedal lever.jpg

Back