3/4hp variable speed dc motor with control, from an untapped source

xalky thats pretty nice and looks fairly easy to build. here is what i know so far
the magnetic speed control could be moved to a foot switch really easy( but the mechanical brake would have to be disabled) and there are only 3 wires from it to the controller to make it reach the floor.
the speed switch works by moving a magnet close and away from it. the closer the magnet is to the sensor the faster it runs up to set max speed
the controller can be mounted anywhere in an enclosure but i'd add a fan, and just 2 wires run to the motor.
after installing it to try on my drill press i'll take it apart and measure all the voltage and resistances so other controls may be used.
so far everything looks easy to modify for other purposes and it costs less than just a dc motor controller
the key thing is available power now at low rpm. i need to check that next
steve

I'm looking forward to the verdict...

You can probably increase the bottom end torque by running the motor at its upper range and increasing the pulley size at the drill press.

Last edited:
I decided to install the motor on my 9x20 lathe first and it is just great. for a 9x20 lathe that is manual, it would be perfect for threading because the 9x20 is hard to cut threads on due to the lowest speed being to high and you have to be quick on course threads. I used all the original pulleys and with a motor speed of 600 i get a spindle rpm of 40rpm. at top speed the spindle would be over 4000. the original motor turned 1750 and this motor will turn 4000 according to my tach so with the pulley reductions i have way more torque than before. the motor is very powerful even at low speeds as it would have to be on a sewing machine sewing leather or canvas.
so my conclusion if your looking for a motor in the 3/4hp range is that if you were concidering a vfd and 3 phase or treadmill motor and buying a dc controller "right out of the box this is a total winner" at $129 including shipping new on ebay. the shipping took a week and was from inside the US.
i also ran the motor at 350 rpm for a half hour and there was no change in temp, then i ran it at 3500 for an hour and it was barely warm.
I have some modifications to my install to do this was just a quicky to test the motor but it is staying on the lathe and i'm ordering 2 more. 1 for my drill press, it will be great for tapping and one for a high speed spindle for my zx45 mill. i may even get one to use on my sherline cnc mill for more power later.
I'm going to take the controller out of the enclosure and measure the required voltages and resistance required to make mods and use with mach3 to control speed and direction and build a motor brake circuit with resistor and i will post what i figure out.
steve

[video=youtube;w3DsyHWwPPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3DsyHWwPPU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Nice Video steve. That was really helpful. Now I can really see the potential in this setup. Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

Marcel

What I like is how smooth that motor runs!
And yes, thank you for posting all the information and video's.

the company i ordered from sold out, I wanted 2 more. you dont think a lot of people read this or viewed it on youtube...?
used it a little today but i need to install swarf guards and make a nice panel but i'm still very pleased and it is so quiet even at 3500 rpm
I need to finish my cnc lathe and enclosure now
steve

I don't think these are the same folks, but here's another possible source. I was considering the CS2000 due to it being 220v and my having extra 220v capacity in my shop, but I need to ask them about torque.

http://drdanessmh.com/indmotors.html

-Freeman

the company has reposted on ebay but the easiest way to find the motor i'm using is to search for "fl-550" on ebay thats the part number
i sent the company an email an now they are also posting under manufacturing and metal working.
here is the new listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sew-Green-F...4?pt=BI_Textile_Equipment&hash=item20ce87a5c4
they also have an 800 number and ask for RJ and say you seen it on ebay
any questions 800-959-4271
i'm buying 2 more next month
steve

I don't think these are the same folks, but here's another possible source. I was considering the CS2000 due to it being 220v and my having extra 220v capacity in my shop, but I need to ask them about torque.

http://drdanessmh.com/indmotors.html

-Freeman

freeman if you do purchase that model will you post any findings you may have on the control electronics. that too looks interesting due to being brushless and possibly being true servo type.
thanks
steve

Back