3/4hp variable speed dc motor with control, from an untapped source

Newbie alert !!

I need to replace the motor on my 9x20 and these motors look like a great option. Since the motors I looked at were 3/4" shafts, can I get away with just boring the original motor pulley ? How about drive belt length ? Some pics of everyone's setups would be very much appreciated.

hi chrispy
here is the build thread for my 9x20 cnc conversion that includes the modifications to use this motor.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...NC-conversion?highlight=9x20+lathe+conversion

steve

I like to keep my mods so that what ever I do the machine can be returned to original. since this was the first time I had tried one of these motors and my original motor still worked fine I turned the shaft and cut the keyway.
steve

Are you guys still happy with these motors? Any issues? I'm getting ready to order a taig lathe and will probably use one of the motors from this thread.

calipers: If you want to see one in action on a small lathe, take a look at my youtube vid. I'm no expert and don't have a lot of experience either. But from my limited experience, it seems to lack power on the low end. It may be that I have the wrong setup or something, but it seems like I can stall it at low rpm. Btw, I'm using a round rubber belt and that may be an issue too.

I love the variable speed and it may be that I have to learn how to use this motor correctly. ps. I've never had the real "original" type motor so I have nothing to compare this too (except a treadmill motor).

ps. ps. Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
You can see the motor better at the end of the vid. (it's painted blue)
http://youtu.be/NpXN0RcNkeg

calipers: If you want to see one in action on a small lathe, take a look at my youtube vid. I'm no expert and don't have a lot of experience either. But from my limited experience, it seems to lack power on the low end. It may be that I have the wrong setup or something, but it seems like I can stall it at low rpm. Btw, I'm using a round rubber belt and that may be an issue too.

I love the variable speed and it may be that I have to learn how to use this motor correctly. ps. I've never had the real "original" type motor so I have nothing to compare this too (except a treadmill motor).

ps. ps. Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
You can see the motor better at the end of the vid. (it's painted blue)
http://youtu.be/NpXN0RcNkeg

Thanks jster1963! I'll be sure to check out your video.

Are you guys still happy with these motors? Any issues? I'm getting ready to order a taig lathe and will probably use one of the motors from this thread.

No real issues, but I replaced the one on my Benchmaster mill with a 1HP Baldor 3phase motor and a VFD because I wasn't in love with it. It wasn't bad (and maybe this is just more power now), but the current setup is way, way better for my mill.

I do think the sewing machine motor would make for a mighty fine shop-built belt grinder, so I've got some plans swirling around in my head for a future project.

Great idea to use a sewing machine motor variable speed torque and some with not brushes. Looks like a winner to me between $100-$150 for a new motor.

Todd

Another motor but more expensive and supposedly a better motor is the Reliable SewQuiet 5000 motor. Supposedly it doesn't lose any torque power at the lower speeds. I found one on Amazon for $200. I am currently using a Consew, but it loses some power at real slow speeds. The Consew is fine for what I do, but if I go this route again, I will l search more info about the slower speed torque loss. I would like to have a little more torque at 50RPM.

Back