3/4hp variable speed dc motor with control, from an untapped source

*Morning browsing-the-forum Ritual* First cup of coffee and I stumble on this.

I've got a 6" belt / disc grinder in pieces that has a fried motor, a rather large one at that.
Style is similar to this one -=- LINK -=-
What I was thinking was to forgo the disc and mount a motor on that end of the fried motor shaft.

Would one of these SMM's have enough ooomph to run the belt mechanism?

That would be cool to be able to have that type of speed control.

Thanks,
_Dan

I like to keep my mods so that what ever I do the machine can be returned to original. since this was the first time I had tried one of these motors and my original motor still worked fine I turned the shaft and cut the keyway.
steve
hi chrispy
here is the build thread for my 9x20 cnc conversion that includes the modifications to use this motor.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...NC-conversion?highlight=9x20+lathe+conversion

steve
Steve!
I filed this thread in my beady little brain for "later". Based on your threads, I took the plunge on that little motor for my 9 X 20 lathe. I should not have waited so long. Using that motor was a superb idea! Thank you so much for getting this ball rolling. I will post a thread one my conversion is complete. Thanks again!
Mark

It has been running about 2 years now and I'm still happy with it.
thanks for viewing
Steve

It has been running about 2 years now and I'm still happy with it.
thanks for viewing
Steve
Steve, what did you do with that goofy magnetic sensor that was supposed to work with a foot pedal? It looks like you taped a magnet to it and then mounted it inside your control box. By the way, your CNC conversion is very impressive. Everything was well done, very professional looking.

I have figured out a way to replace the magnetic sensor board with a potentiometer and an op amp so that smooth speed control can be managed.

Mark

yes I just taped the magnet to it and use the original speed switch. I have seen where others used a pot there but it wasn't until after I had completed mine and I haven't found a reason to change it.
Steve

Thank you so much for your reply. Now I'm not so sure that it is worth the trouble to do anything different. You've been a tremendous help. If I chase my neighbor away, will you move into their home?

No Sorry
I didn't move fare enough south as it is come winter.
Steve

This thread is quite old,

but in case someone like me is looking at it, the latest incarnation of this on eBay: "Consew-CSM3000-Sewing-Machine-Electric-Servo-Motor"

Works great for my Shop-Task 12-21!

You can actually reverse this easily without using the menu by crossing the black and red pair (2 of 3 motor coil drive wires,) then the yellow and brown pair (2 of 3 phase hall effect sensor wires) - I used a 4PDT switch to do the job. Be sure to bring the motor down to stop before reversing it, as the controller will instantly reverse the motor, but it is pretty violent.

A 1K pot works just as well as the 2.5K to replace the now magnetic speed control lever. The speed control uses a 2 to 4.6V signal, below about 1.8 to 1.9V the motor stops. From 2v to 4.1 the speed ramps linearly. The speed control lever has a +5, control and Ground wire. you can use a DMM to figure out which is which when you open it up.

Alot of Taig and sherlne owners are using the consew motors as well as Yuma sewing machine motors. I have to say on a Stuart Andrews aftermarket Taig frame these motors look to be the bees knees. Cutting steel like you would never think possible out of a modified Taig. They seem to be proven on the Taigs. I am considering one to make a planer/chipper knife and contemplating direct mounting or using a pulley.

Back