• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

3/8" drive dimensions

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Does anyone have (workable) dimensions or drawings of a female 3/8" drive square hole? (other than Engineer's Edge https://www.engineersedge.com/hardware/square-drive-tools.htm - which I am having trouble understanding). I will probably want to drill the corners before milling so I need to figure what size (and placement) to drill the corner holes.

If I understand Engineer's Edge right it would take a very small drill (to get the proper radius) - like .17x", which means I would have to finish the sides of the hole with a 0.125" end mill. Does that sound right? I'm not sure I have an end mill that size long enough.

I could probably just measure a socket (or weld a cheap socket to my special tool) and go from there but I was trying to dear it up from scratch & got curious - and as always - bull headed.

Tozguy

Active User
After using a 1/8th end mill and breaking it I would say that it is not meant for a very deep side cut, even if it is long enough it is not strong enough. Welding a socket on your tool sounds best to me.

Groundhog

After using a 1/8th end mill and breaking it I would say that it is not meant for a very deep side cut, even if it is long enough it is not strong enough. Welding a socket on your tool sounds best to me.
That is kinda what I was thinking. I will be breaking drill bits or end mills or both.
So, I think I will either weld (half of) a socket to the tool or mill a 3/4" hexagon on the top that will accept a socket.

But now I'm just curious. How could I make the hole with a mill?

RJSakowski

A lot depends om the machine operations aqnd the tools used.
My male 3/8" drives measure about .371" with only slight breaks at the corners so I would make the socket .375" with clearance to the corners.
Here is aqn example of how I would cut the pocket with an 1/8" end mill and a 3/32" end mill Square Socket.JPG
I would spot and drill a pilot hole at the four corners of the .3087 square and plunge cut the four 3/32" holes to depth. Then I would drill a 1/4" or 5/16" hole to depth at the center of the pocket and finish by milling to size with an 1/8" end mill.

[6]
[5] [7]