3/8 x 3/8 tool blank source?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I got a bunch of 1/4" HSS blanks when I bought my Logan 816 lathe. These fit the tool posts that came with the lathe. The Aloris AXA QCTP can handle 3/8" tools and still be adjusted to center, so while the smaller blanks will work, I'd prefer 3/8" for obvious reasons. I'd prefer US-made HSS blanks, but they seem outrageously expensive (~$24@). What experience do you guys have with Chinese tool steel? The Chinese blanks go for $64 for 50, which seems too good to be true?

Most HSS is perfectly fine, regardless of who made it.

However, $1.28 per bit is way to cheap in my option, It should be more like $2.50 to $5 for a 3/8" square M2 bit.

Look on e bay, you should find plenty; do not buy Chinese; any USA brand or type should work for you. Also, I have a bunch of new unused 3/8 bits that I would be willing to sell if you are interested. They are either MoMax Cobalt or Rex 95. I'd let them go for $4 each.

Look on e bay, you should find plenty; do not buy Chinese; any USA brand or type should work for you. Also, I have a bunch of new unused 3/8 bits that I would be willing to sell if you are interested. They are either MoMax Cobalt or Rex 95. I'd let them go for $4 each.

This is a really good price for these bits, especially since one bit will last 10-15 years if cared for. I would consider it, Evan.

The Chinese are capable of making fine tools, but for the most part, that is not what they send here, the sort of things, sold by the likes of HF; a friend of mine calls them "stage prop tools", there are exceptions to this but I think their cutting tools are second or third rate; personally, I would not buy them.

Chinese tool bits are okay. There is no way to know what their content is and no way to contact the foundry to find out. You take your chances. I use these bits to experiment with and grind my keepers from bits I trust.

3/8" bits are a commonly used size and they come up on ebay often, though sellers think they are made of gold instead of HSS. You are looking for bits from a source you trust. Most US makers are good - Cleveland, Chicago-Latrobe, Do-All, Morse, anything from Crucible (Rex), Teledyne/Vasco, Armstrong. ETM is a very good M2 steel, as is the Brazilian bits from TTC.

Cobalt is more expensive. 5% cobalt is fine for almost anything you're likely to turn. 8% holds and edge longer but it is the Molybdenum or Tungsten content you need for high heat conditions so buy from a company who publishes this data.

Bottom Line: you best economic bet is ebay.

I'm not a fan of Bolton Tools, but they had some M42 HSS blanks last time I looked at a pretty good price.

I use mostly Super Mo-MAX tool bits. They are a little harder to grind into shape. If you need a profile bit then I use regular HSS because it’s easier to grind and I don’t use profile bits regularly. A single tool bit should last you a very long time. You mentioned a lot of 50. IMHO that is way more than you need. Look on fleabay, put in a saved search for super Mo-Max, you will find them and it will be your turn to buy sooner or later…Dave

The Chinese are capable of making fine tools, but for the most part, that is not what they send here, the sort of things, sold by the likes of HF; a friend of mine calls them "stage prop tools", there are exceptions to this but I think their cutting tools are second or third rate; personally, I would not buy them.

If your buying them from harbor freight, that would be a big part of it. Anything under about $100 bucks from harbor freight is about the cheapest thing they can find. I was meaning more along the lines of the major online suppliers house brands, it's almost all made offshore but is up to spec and works perfectly fine.

Where you need to be more select, is the rarer HSS like M42, , T15, and the various powdered metallurgy flavors like M48. They are produced in much smaller volumes, and the knowledge about how to manufacture them properly and consistently is a lot less wide spread.

My dads been in the steel industry for just shy of 40 years, and has made everything from rebar, to exotic stuff for the auto industry. As he said not to long ago, HSS is almost an 80 year old technology, just about anyone can make it properly. Really it all comes down to price, if it's too good to be true, then its probably not very good.

Back