3 axis DRO installation on a 9x42" Bridgeport Mill

Well thought out installation Bruce. Price seems pretty hard to beat. Do you know off hand what features may be lacking vs say the dro-pro version which runs around $700? Thanks, Mike

I'll go out on a limb and say that Bruce probably won't want to take the time to research the features of each unit to answer your question. I know I wouldn't. I bet that the manual that comes with the $700 unit is a hell of a lot easier to understand than the $300 unit.

Know what you mean. Just figured someone who has done several of these has probably researched it pretty well. I did take a quick look on e-pay and here is the higher end DRO-PRO version. The descriptions can take a little evaluation if your not familiar with all the terminology. Thinking someone who is more familiar with them could clear up some things for those of with less experience. Mike

- 5 um (0.0002") resolution scales (display supports 0.1-10 um scales as well)

- Can be switched between Mill, Lathe, Grinder and EDM

- Supports both English and Metric units (in/mm display)

- Absolute and Incremental measuring mode

- Center line (1/2) function

- Sub datum (200 points)

- Linear drilling function Mill Mode

- Bolt circle (PCD) machining in Mill Mode

- Incline and oblique plane machining Mill Mode

- Simple and Smooth Radius machining Mill Mode

- Asymptotic machining of inner cavity (chambering) Mill Mode

- Radius/Diameter function in Lathe mode

- Tool compensation with 200 tools library in Lathe mode

- Taper function in Lathe mode

- Axis summing in Lathe mode

- Filter in Grinder mode

- Linear and non-linear error compensation

- Auto Zero/reference function

- Calculator with trigonometric functions

- Sleep Mode

- Power Off memory

- 100-240V, 50/60Hz universal AC power

- Mounting Arm and hardware included

- ISO 9001 certified quality control, CE certified

This is a fantastic post,just in time.To me I can't imagine a BP without a DRO or any mill without it.Like others and as posted by Fomogo,just don't understand all the technicals that goes with DRO,so this post is outstanding.Showing how to install by Holescreek helps to give ideals which I have no imagination so this is a big help.Thanks for posting---kroll

X- 800, Z- 450 and Y- 350mm. The 800 has about an extra foot of scale you'll never use but it sure makes it simple mounting on the 42" table and not having to worry about the reader head placement. (and the price is the same anyway.)
I now have the BP in my workshop and am looking at getting the DRO. Can you please confirm that the lengths are the travel of the slides not the overall lengths? Thanks in advance
Bruce

Yep, travel length. Check your own machine before you order. Run it all the way to a stop and make a line with a marker that goes across the moving and non moving surfaces. Then crank the axis fully the other direction and measure the distance between the two lines. I have occasionally seen BPM's with an extra length knee which would make the Y axis longer than usual.

Last edited:
Thanks

Will do when I find the machine under all the crud

I have found that it is not painted black

Cheers

Bruce

Hi
Any chance you can update the thread to fix or replace the Photobucket links?

I am almost at the point of fitting scales and would like to remind myself how you did it.

Cheers
Bruce

Back