3 axis RO with iGaging scales

Bob, I like that set up. I may have to do that. I don't have a means to build the collar as of yet, but I hope to get a lathe within the next year or so.

How did you shorten the stainless steel scale, thin abrasive blade??

Ed,
I initially set up the X,Y,Z axis with the original iGaging aluminum scales which are easily cut with a common hacksaw. When I decided to make a collar for the quill and mount a scale there I ordered one of their short ( I think) 12" alloy (stainless) scale. Turns out it was too long and I didn't know if I could cut it with a abrasive wheel in a die grinder. If I ruined the scale I would have to buy another so I just ordered one of the original type aluminum scales for the quill. I'm using the 12" alloy scale on a old Monarch lathe I have.
So the short answer is I don't know for sure as I have not attempted it. Sorry I can't be more help.

I went to the Amazon site that I purchased the scales and someone commented on how he did it. he said they were to long and he cut the stainless one with a Dremel and abrasive wheel and worked fine. so that is what I will do maybe tomorrow if I can get to this job. What an asset on an old mill with a lot of play. I have a Burk Millrite. plus the other feature nice to be able to find center using the DRO's

Back