3 in 1 - Anything Worthwhile?

FMC1959

Registered
Registered
I am not in a hurry, but am checking at used and new mills, what kind of deal I can find. I am less interested in a lathe for now but would get one down the road.

I have read many posts, the majority are against 3 in 1 machines for various reasons....compromise and not really good at either, underpowered, too small...etc. I m looking at a small mill, like X2 or X3; anything much bigger becomes a problem for space, budget, or transport for a decent used big machine. For now, I want to get into machining with something small and see how I like it. If I get the bug, then down the road I'll see about bigger and better.

I ask about 3 in 1 because there are a few used machines in my area, there are 2 different people selling an Emco Maximat V10p. Then a 3rd machine which I am not sure what it is, I would need to contact them for more info.
Also, Smithy has some great deals on their 3 in 1 till April 30 + free shipping (in the US). I read on the Smithy thread, most that have a Midas are not too happy and would not repeat their purchase. Those that have Granites are generally more happy and find they can accomplish quite a bit.
I have been looking at the Granite Max, one up from the entry level Granite; the same power as the 2 higher models, minus some bells and whistles.
https://smithy.com/granite-max

Any opinions on the V10P's, terrible, mediocre, or better than most 3 in 1 machines?

Then the Smithy Granite Max, with about $1200 off till the end of the month + free shipping to a place I can pick up in the US; decent machine for the money or money better spent elsewhere?

For anyone that is going to ask what I will be making, not sure, looking to get my feet wet for now.

Hello FMC1959,
It does help to have some idea about what you want to do but the modern crop of 3 in 1's are a big step up from even 5 years ago.
I worked in a garage years ago that had a 3 in 1 and it was used,(and abused), by all and sundry. We used it to modify sometimes make bolts, nuts ect.
True armatures, wind springs ect. ect.
The machines on offer today are much superior an example is this:
K147 | TU-2506V-20M Lathe & Mill Drill Combination Package | For Sale East Tamaki - Auckland | Buy Workshop Equipment & Machinery online at machineryhouse.co.nz

If you are just wetting your feet so to speak have you considered looking up a local modeling club? The members of clubs like this have proberly forgotten more than I will ever know and can provide a lot of valuable advise. You may also be offered the chance to try a few different machines.
Spend a little time on research and don't overlook secondhand,(although being accompanied by a wise and jaundiced eye is advisable), ask a lot of questions and when,(if), talking to a dealer remember their job is to sell you something. You can always come back after a sleep aye?
A seperate lathe and mill are the ideal, that said there are advantages in being able to complete a job on one machine without moving the work from it's inital setup.
All just depends on what you want to do aye?

- Barry

Hi Barry, thanks for the advice. I would need to look around as I am not sure if there are any maching clubs nearby.

The 3 in 1's are not what I first started looking for but there are some deals on some and they would fit both budget and size wise.

Another thing I noticed also is that any used machinery, the smaller stuff for home user is slim pickings. When you get into the bigger stuff, there are some 220v but the vast majority is 575v. A member on another forum mentioned to me that the 575v machines can probably be had cheap as many companies have gone away from 575v. That may be true in the US but here in Canada or at least in the Montreal area, I have been told that many commercial & industrial companies run most equipment on 575v.

So the 3 in 1's would not be my first choice but it might be where I have the most selection and deals.

Hello FMC1959,
In know where you're coming from. An option if you find a great deal on a three phase machine is to fit a VFD, I've got one on my lathe and love it,(variable speed),and pretty reasonable cost up to 3HP.
I bought my present lathe new just because I was able to but in hindsite could have saved a lot by buying a secondhand 3phase and converting it although you have to have a suitable motor to do so. That said 3 phase motors in the smaller sizes can be sourced cheap secondhand. Something else to consider is you can do small work on a big lathe but it can be impossible to do big work on a small lathe without wild modifications.
Don't forget that whatever you end up with you will need tooling and you can never have enough!
One thing to consider since you are not sure what you want to do is if you do buy a 3 in 1 or small lathe that if it is slim pickings in your market you may be able to sell without problem. Myself I would never want to be without a lathe of some description, so many projects fall over for want of.
Check out:
Home - Projects In Metal LLC , http://www.bedair.org/index.html , http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/, http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/
& http://www.toolsandmods.com/ for some ideas.

Good luck with the search.

- Barry.

Barry, thanks again for the info. If I find something hard to pass on that is 3PH, a VFD will definitely work. It is the abundance of units that run on 575v, and typically also 3PH; this would require a VFD and a separate transformer. Anyway, if the right deal comes along, I will deal with whatever is necessary.

Emco lathes are excellent in general and the V10-P has a very good reputation. You might ask about it on the Yahoo Emco Larger Lathes group and you'll have all the info you need: https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/emcoV10lathe/info?referrer=Over_There

Mike, good to know about the V10p. I am not sure when I will purchase as many things going on right now. When the time is right, if one of the V10p's is still around, I will consider it if what I want in a mill is not available.....thanks.

The Emco Maximat is far and away a better, more accurate machine than any of the 3 in 1s. No comparison. Probably wired for 220v in your area.
The V10P has power cross feed (the V10 doesn't). Spindle thru hole is smallish I think 0.78 inch? The electrics and pushbuttons can be problematic, and the headstock gears can get damaged, need to check those items. I lusted mightily for one years ago. Made in Austria. No parts available anymore except Ebay.
Mark S.

Last edited:
Even better is the Emco Super 11. Built like a watch, it is precise for such a small lathe. Mine is the CD Imperial version, with a D1-4 camlock and 1-3/8" spindle bore. Mine is tight, quiet and with a 2HP motor, powerful enough for me. I have been fortunate to be able to fully tool this lathe except for DRO and taper attachment (which I don't really need). I even have the optional foot brake, brand new but uninstalled - waiting for the DRO so I can do all the electronics at once.

Emco no longer makes parts for any of their Austrian lathes. All parts are from the used market but they do come up for sale if you're patient. Well made and very tough, Emco lathes are a good option if you're lucky enough to find a good one.

I was going to say "built like a watch" also. It's like Black and Decker vs... Deckel :cool:

Back