3 in 1 DRO "Z" axis placement

Grasshopper

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased an neglected Smithy Midas 1220 LTD. The brand and model number are probably not important as I believe the unit was built by Seig and might have been available under many different names. It came with a 3 axis SST DRO (Canadian made). The X & Y were attached but not the Z, when purchased. Has anyone here had experience with mounting a Z axis sender on a 3 in 1 or any pic's of this? TIA, Kent

IMGP5400.JPG

It would seem that you have only one axis left; that of the vertical spindle quill.

I am not understanding your question. Z on a lathe is toward and away from the chuck, in line with the center of rotation, on the mill portion it would be drill chuck up and down. The cross feed is X, and an axis 90 degrees to that, like a milling attachment, would be Y.

I was not raised with all this alphabet stuff --- parallel with the spindle axis is long(nitudinal) feed ; 90 deg to that is cross feed; the compound is what it is --- so, presumably for practical purposes, the one left subject to practical use is the quill feed.
I'm stating what is practical for the application, not splitting hairs as to definition of terms.

I put a third axis on the tailstock quill on my lathe but on a combo machine, I would opt for the mill quill. T would mount the pickup on the right side or in back of the head of the head and make the scale the the movable component, attached to the a side arm from the quill. I did a similar mount for my tailstock.

Yes, I am referring to the mill. I don't see a way to mount the sender to the quill. Was hoping that someone had pics of how they'd placed it. I can just use the markings on the machine and save the 3rd sender as a replacement for the Y or X sender if one were to break.

I made a collar that goes around the quill and attached the read head on the rear side of the head on my Shoptask 1720. I can get a picture tomorrow if you want.

I made a collar that goes around the quill and attached the read head on the rear side of the head on my Shoptask 1720. I can get a picture tomorrow if you want.
That would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ok, here you go. I am using iGauging scales and Touch DRO but I think the general idea is what you need.
DSCF0614.JPG

Back