3-in-1 Table Riser

LX Kid

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The Grizzly 3-In-1 Drill/Mill is a very inconvenient machine to be able to use the milling spindle. The spindle does not lower down very far to be able to use it adequately. A riser of about 2.5"-3" would be good. Does anyone have any ideas on a riser to be able to mount various vices higher up off the table? The commercial table risers I've seen are pretty expensive! a "3x6"x7" block of 6061 aluminum would be adequate. If you have figured it out I'd like to see some pics or suggestions for an economical riser. Thanks

20160306_074430_resized.jpg 20160306_075256_resized.jpg

Last edited:
The vice that came on the cross-slipe is pretty much useless as it is too low and very weak. Bolting vice directly to the table, with quill all the way down, still leaves about 6" to the vice.

20160306_074747_resized_1.jpg 20160306_075647_resized.jpg

Get your aluminum block and cut some t-slots in it or drill a hole pattern on the top and thread the holes. You will also need a method to hold it to the cross slide/mill table on the 3in1. A couple slots in the sides of the block and toe clamps to hold it down will work.

Last edited:
Get your aluminum block and cut some t-slots in it or drill a hole pattern on the top and thread the holes. You will also need a method to hold it to the cross slide/mill table on the 3in1. A couple slots in the sides of the block and toe clamps to hold it down will work.

I have a piece of 2x8 wood that I'm thinking of using. Not exactly precision thickness but if I can find someone with a wood planner to run it thru I believe it will do for my hobby needs at the moment. I'll also put an aluminum plate on top and bottom of the wood. Just remember, "You pay less you get less!"

I have the exact same machine and. of course, the exact same problem. I actually use a full-size, 6" mill vise on my machine, and still want more height. The Lathe is pretty rugged, but the mill isn't. What I really want is a chunk of 2" thick Aluminum that's about 9" Square to use to bolt down the vise.

You're not going to get where you want by using the compound/"vise." I pretty much discovered that the first time I wanted to use the mill. I think a thick chunk of Aluminum would get the height and provide sufficient rigidity. Of course, Steel would be better, but good luck with that.......

Used my "chunk of wood" today to see how it might work out. Came out not to bad but have to find a couple more t-nuts on the opposing corners to put it down flush with the table. It already seems ok but I'll leave it on the table pulled down tight for several days to take any warpage out. This will work for any roughing I may need and them go over to my mill for any accuracy needed. "Bubba'a back in town!"

20160307_132509.jpg

I have the Busy Bee version of your lathe/mill combo and with a 5inch vise I used the 2-3-4 blocks as risers to do some rough milling. I also purchased the 6inch elevating block the sell for this machine......... http://www.busybeetools.com/products/elevating-block-for-b2229-and-b2071.html

Yes I do like the block idea. I may have a set of blocks in the tool box. That might be just "too easy" for a stubborn old mule like myself! LoL On second thought they may be "V" blocks I have. Have to check it out. Thanks

Back