3-in-1 Table Riser

Just a note: the closer you can get to the end mill without extending it from the mill head will result in less "flex" while cutting, from personal experience with this machine

Just a note: the closer you can get to the end mill without extending it from the mill head will result in less "flex" while cutting, from personal experience with this machine

"Affirmative!" That's military for "uh-huh! LoL

Ordered 1-2-3 blocks yesterday for the vice and other work when needed.

UPDATE: 3/11/16

Wow! My 1-2-3 blocks already arrived in the mail today. And wouldn't you just know it! I was looking for a place to store the new ones and found a set that I already had. So now I have 3 sets!

Last edited:
Ordered 1-2-3 blocks yesterday for the vice and other work when needed.

UPDATE: 3/11/16

Wow! My 1-2-3 blocks already arrived in the mail today. And wouldn't you just know it! I was looking for a place to store the new ones and found a set that I already had. So now I have 3 sets!

Wanna sell me a set?

Find a couple of prices of aluminum rectangular tube, 1/4 inch wall, arounmaybe 1x2 inches, cut as wide as you carriage table. Face one side, cut slot for bolts to hold down to table. Flip them, face them. Then grab a pice of 1/4-1/2" aluminum plate, clamp to the blocks, which are bolted to the table, drill holes, tap the blocks, bolt plate to blocks. Face plate, drill a butt load of holes and tap them. Works for me!

This is an old thread, I know, but I am sure there are others like me still struggling with this issue. I've tried the 123 blocks found there was still too much flex. I've tried making a set for four pillars out of 1.25" cold rolled. This wasn't bad but still had a hard time. Currently, and what seems to be the best for me, is stacking granite surface plates. Bought 2 from grizzly, 6x8x2, this has the benefit of providing alot of contact surface for the base of the vise and causes less flex than the other methods, imo. And they we're fairly cheap.
Grizzly G9647 6-Inch by 8-Inch by 2-Inch Granite Surface Plate, No Ledge

Just an observation, that 3/4 inch two flute end mill is going to generate bounce as it cuts. My PM25 works best with a 3/16 cutter, though i do have a 3/8 six flute that cuts pretty smoothly. The larger end mills work well in machines that have commas in their weight. like 3,500.

Back