3 Jaw Scroll chucks - which one would you get?

teledan

Registered
Registered
I currently only have one chuck for my Craftsman 6" lathe, a 4 jaw independent chuck. It works great and I can really dial stuff in close. However, for a lot of projects I don't need that type of precision and I would rather be able to quickly mount the workpiece in the chuck. For that reason, i am thinking about getting a 3 jaw for that type of work (not replacing my 4 jaw though). So with that said, should I get one of these Shars ones:

Or should I spend a bit more to get a used original one? I wouldn't mind spending the extra money for an original one if it is worth it. I don't really like how deep/thick the shars ones are compared to the original chucks. I wouldn't really want to spend more than about $200, so I guess my main question is, if you had $200 to spend on a 3 jaw scroll chuck, what would you get?

What do you mean by "used original one"?

There's a NOS TOS for $200 on eBay. 80mm though. Also a couple Bisons.

What do you mean by "used original one"?

I think that would be part no 101.214071. Like this one:

A Buck Chuck off E bay

A Buck Adjust-Tru?

A Buck Adjust-Tru?
[/QUOTE]

That is correct. Best chuck made.

What size do you want? 4" or 6"?

A Buck Adjust-Tru?

That is correct. Best chuck made.
[/QUOTE]

A 6" Buck adjust-tru chuck came with the lathe i purchased and my first impression was not good! I thought it was just an old worn-out piece of junk until someone on here told me what it actually was and how to properly use it and i couldn't be happier. You get 4 jaw performance with 3 jaw ease of use.

Yeah I have heard great things about them. Anyone running one on their 6” Atlas/Craftsman lathe? It looks like I should be looking for a model 1434, does anyone sell an adapter plate for this model that would fit my 1”-10tpi spindle?

Back