3 Jaw Scroll chucks - which one would you get?

The Craftsman 6" lathes with the 1/2-24 and 1/2"-20 spindle nose threads were made by AA, not Atlas, and are sometimes referred to as 109's, since all of the model numbers begin with 109-. The 6" lathes that Atlas built for Sears (model numbers beginning with 101) are the 101.07300 with 3/4"-16, 101.07301 with 1"-8, and 101.21400 and 101.21200 with 1"-10.

Maybe this might work for you!

Thanks, I saw that one as well. If that hole through the backing plate isn't too big I may be able to thread that to 1"-10.

Thanks, I saw that one as well. If that hole through the backing plate isn't too big I may be able to thread that to 1"-10.

Sherline uses a 3/4-16 spindle, so you would probably have enough there to open it up and thread to 1". Don't know how long the spindle is on the Atlas though, length to the register could potentially be an issue. The Sherlines only need about 1/2" of depth.

Sherline uses a 3/4-16 spindle, so you would probably have enough there to open it up and thread to 1". Don't know how long the spindle is on the Atlas though, length to the register could potentially be an issue. The Sherlines only need about 1/2" of depth.

If it's the Atlas made Craftsman 6" lathe (model 101.07301) the spindle is probably 1" x 8tpi, not the 1"x 10tpi that Atlas used on its 6" lathes. If it's the 1"x 8tpi, the best bang for your buck will be a Taig 3-1/4" chuck that they have on clearance for $20. They custom made a batch of their typical chucks (for this lathe i think) with this threading and got stuck with them, hence the fire sale price. I have two of them, (a 3 jaw scrolling chuck and a 4 jaw scrolling chuck). They are a bit smaller than the 4" chuck typical to these lathes, but they are excellent quality and work quite well. They come with reversible aluminum soft jaws that bolt to the jaw slides. They grip well, won't mar your work, and can be easily centered or modified for specific work. For what it's worth, they are US made.

Here's the link - http://www.taigtools.com/accessories.html
part numbers are 1150ATLA and 1160ATLA.

It's a great little company. I have one of their milling machines - quality is excellent. I have no affiliation with them, just a happy repeat customer, and they have a smokin good deal that might suit your needs.

As an aside, i'd hesitate to put a 5" chuck on my 6" C-man / Atlas lathe. It's more heft than the machine was designed around, and there isn't much room for the jaws to extend beyond the outer edge of the chuck. Because of this, you'll probably have about the same capacity with the 5" chuck as you would with the 4" jaw chuck, and spend a good deal more in the process.

Good luck with it all.

paulh

Who is AA?
AA is short for The Double A Company, of Manchester, MI. At one time they belonged to Brown & Sharpe. The Sears contractor code for them was 109. In the late 1930's through late 1950's, they made wood lathes and inexpensive metal lathes for Sears. The Lathes.UK site has quite a bit of information on those machines. There are a few mostly date errors in the write-up and one sentence erroneously implies that Atlas didn't sell their own machines direct, which isn't true. But there is a lot of valid information there.

If it's the Atlas made Craftsman 6" lathe (model 101.07301) the spindle is probably 1" x 8tpi, not the 1"x 10tpi that Atlas used on its 6" lathes. If it's the 1"x 8tpi, the best bang for your buck will be a Taig 3-1/4" chuck that they have on clearance for $20. They custom made a batch of their typical chucks (for this lathe i think) with this threading and got stuck with them, hence the fire sale price. I have two of them, (a 3 jaw scrolling chuck and a 4 jaw scrolling chuck). They are a bit smaller than the 4" chuck typical to these lathes, but they are excellent quality and work quite well. They come with reversible aluminum soft jaws that bolt to the jaw slides. They grip well, won't mar your work, and can be easily centered or modified for specific work. For what it's worth, they are US made.

Here's the link - http://www.taigtools.com/accessories.html
part numbers are 1150ATLA and 1160ATLA.

It's a great little company. I have one of their milling machines - quality is excellent. I have no affiliation with them, just a happy repeat customer, and they have a smokin good deal that might suit your needs.

As an aside, i'd hesitate to put a 5" chuck on my 6" C-man / Atlas lathe. It's more heft than the machine was designed around, and there isn't much room for the jaws to extend beyond the outer edge of the chuck. Because of this, you'll probably have about the same capacity with the 5" chuck as you would with the 4" jaw chuck, and spend a good deal more in the process.

Good luck with it all.

paulh

Thanks, mine is actually a 101.21400 with the tapered spindle bearings and a 1"-10tpi spindle nose. That chuck looks like a great deal though, wish they would have done the 1"-10tpi instead! I am definitely leaning towards a 4" rather than a 5".

Thanks!

Back