3 jaw

I was referring to the bore or ring that is sposed to fit tightly inside the chuck. but your right I could prbly fix that with a little collar just pressed in at the end of the thread race. anyhow i'm within 4 thou at the moment. not a big fan of cutting cast iron what a mess

For future reference, in the register area of the ID of a threaded back plate or chuck body, you should still see faint signs of the threads. Or to put it another way, the major diameter of the female threads is just a few thousandths LARGER than the ID of the register area.

Rambin, if you do buy this chuck, check the grind on the jaws. I watched a video where someone had to grind the jaws right out of the gate. I don't think it was a Shars though.
Watch for even clamping and runout.
Please let us know.
I was very tempted by Shars before I bought my 10" Bison.

Don't I feel silly, I just read the entire thread-You answered my question, concerns.

For future reference, in the register area of the ID of a threaded back plate or chuck body, you should still see faint signs of the threads. Or to put it another way, the major diameter of the female threads is just a few thousandths LARGER than the ID of the register area.

yes I can still see the line of the threads I don't think im big by much.. actually used it today for a few min was nice to not have to dial in!

janderson… I wouldn't blame shars for anything ive seen so far its a low dollar chuck yes... but im in over my head trying to machine it onto my lathe as well.... I know when you close the jaws completely they don't all touch perfectly but I didn't pay 800 bucks for it either.

Shars is generally speaking the high-dollar supplier among the Chinese brands (I'm not sure that one factory doesn't make most of the Chinese stuff). The three jaws not touching when you run them all of the way in doesn't sound like what they normally supply. You didn't pay what you would have paid for a Bison, Buck or Pratt-Bernerd but you certainly paid more than you would have paid at H-F. It might be worth your while to make a phone call. Did you buy it direct from Shars or from a Stateside dealer?

Back