3-phase motor on HF 7x12 Bandsaw

Djl338

Registered
Registered
Has anyone swapped the motor with a 3-phase on the newer HF 7x12 bandsaw? The pulley/belt change is not terrible but one nut is buried and I need to remove the fan motor cover to accomplish it, plus I think running it with a VFD would be pretty handy. Wouldn't know where to start as far as finding a compatible motor.
thanks!
David

No reason that wouldn't work. Just look at the data tag on the motor and pretty much match the specs; HP, RPM, Frame. For use with a VFD bumping up the HP wouldn't hurt to keep the torque up at lower RPM. The original motor is probably a metric frame, but a NEMA 56 frame motor should work fine.

If you want a used motor try Craigslist. For new motors there are a lot of discount vendors online.

Seems like a reasonable mod, you would probably want to upsize the motor about 30% compared to the existing one
to compensate for the loss of torque at lower speeds- look for a TEFC motor (totally enclosed, fan cooled)
A treadmill motor and controller would also work

Thanks, it’s a pretty nice saw for the money, a few irritating things but expected from HF. There are frame specs on the motor data tag?. It comes with a 1hp motor, I’ll check the tag. Thanks guys, may be a fun project

That reminds me, I need to modify my saw's motor mount so I can change the speed without a wrench- I never can find the wrench when I need it
and I spend enough time changing blades
M

I can’t figure out how to get the correct mounting plate, seems like a fairly large variety

I can’t figure out how to get the correct mounting plate, seems like a fairly large variety

I would just buy the motor that you want. Re-drill the mount as needed.

I have that band saw. I am almost exclusively aluminum machining and have it set at the highest speed. The only issue I had with it is the coolant/lubricant pump doesn’t work. I figure there is a wiring problem, I just haven’t taken the time to sort it out.

I also put casters on the front because that sucker is really heavy.

Casters are a good idea, the thing weighs a ton. Which model did you get? I thought the newer model had the enclosed switches and moveable coolant nozzle plus some other tweaks, the model I have is not old the green one, but has the old style switches. HF sales person said its the newest model, guess they downgraded? Still not a bad machine

Back