3 phase motor plate says 200v?

The Reliance 2HP motor I got with my new to me 13" South Bend lathe was labeled 200 Volt as well. At the bottom of the tag is also stamped "SUIT 208V". I just took a picture of it the other day so I could list it on Craigslist.

Your drive says +/- 20%. I would hook it up and if you have a current meter take a reading on each leg and see what you get, just to make sure you're in the range.

Ted

Reliance Name Plate.jpg

I'm hooking up a VFD to power a Clausing 1500 lathe. I know this machine was powered by standard commercial 3 phase when I picked it up and tested it, although I don't know for sure if it was 240v or 480v, assumed 240v. There's no other electronics in the lathe except reversing switches. I got my VFD and starting going through the numbers and found this 200v a little confusing. Any help deciphering what numbers I need to put into the VFD would be helpful.

Thanks,
-Bill Warner

Japan might use a 200v 3 phase system , perhaps it was made for export but stayed in america or perhaps went to japan and found it's way back.

Stu

200V motors were actually rather commonly used in by schools in the US. (I have 2 machines with 200V motors that came from schools) Many but not all VFD's will allow you to set the motor voltage. One example that I know that will NOT allow you to do that is the Teco FM50. Most other Teco VFD's will allow you to set the motor voltage.

200V motors were actually rather commonly used in by schools in the US. (I have 2 machines with 200V motors that came from schools) Many but not all VFD's will allow you to set the motor voltage. One example that I know that will NOT allow you to do that is the Teco FM50. Most other Teco VFD's will allow you to set the motor voltage.

Its a Huan Yang VFD, GT series, so it's got a lot of features and I can set the voltage to pretty much anything from 1-500v. I think to be safe for now I'm going to set the VFD to 200V and run through the auto tune and see how well the motor runs. If I can't get good satisfactory performance out of it I may run it up to a local motor shop and see if they can give me any insight as suggested above. It is quite a beast though.

200V is the common voltage rating for a motor designed to be used on a nominal 208V power supply. Similar to 230V motors for nominal 240V supply and 460V motors for nominal 480V supply. It allows for voltage drop over the feeder from supply to motor.

Tom

That makes sense since my lathe originally came out of a school shop.

Ted

did you miss the square of 3?

V * A * √3 = kVA
200 * 23 * 1.73 = 7958.00 seems a bit high...going to 220 or 240 would push it really high.

200 * 23 = 4600

240 * 23 = 5520 closer to the numbers but still not the right formula

No - I got the square root of three in there - the "1.73" and my calcs are fine for the 7.5 hp motor

If it is a 10 horse motor and not 7.5 as it appears to show on the nameplate, then kW = 7.56, and at lets say 95% power factor, the kVA rating is 7560/.95 = 7.96 kVA. At 7.96 kVA, the current at 200V = 23A as shown on the nameplate.

I would set the VFD for the 200V setting. Most US appliances are configured for +/- 10%. Motors usually have wider permitted excursions, say -10 +15%. At full load continuous, you should see 23A phase current and you could easily confirm with a clamp-on current meter. To answer your question, you should be able to run at 200, 208, 220, 230, 240, etc.

Best

Jim

Back