3-Plate Method, Surface Plates?

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
OK, so, I going to open up a discussion on this far-fetched thought. (Blame the Cerveza... :grin: "
I case you haven't seen 'The Haul' click -=- HERE -=-

With so many at my disposal. . .
Is it possible to true up surface plates using the 3-plate method?
A 'brief' review of YouTube last night and I'm not sure this is possible, but it makes sense to my addled mind.

First - there is the matter of picking up and 'flipping' one plate onto another.
Secondly, there is the matter of picking up and 'flipping' one plate onto another.
Thirdly, there is Honey's patience with this entire fiasco...

But I'm curious, what do y'all think? :cower:

Back in the day when I needed to get plates calibrated I'd just call a service, and then stand there watching as they worked their magic.
Of course this time around I don't have a company that is paying the charges.

Last Thursday morning I submitted requests for surface plate calibration to two companies that have locations in Nashville and Chattanooga .
Have not heard back from them...

It is entirely "possible" to make a flat plate using the 3 plate method. It is also fussy and will take you forever from scratch, at least to do it right. The first accurate plates were made using that method. Then they mostly stopped using it, at least for getting something done, not just proving a concept. These days, there is no reason for using the three plate method for any useful reason, but rather only to prove it can be done. Instead, use an autocollimator and repeat-o-meter, along with the necessary skills, and then get on to your REAL project, whatever you want to make flat...

It is entirely "possible" to make a flat plate using the 3 plate method. It is also fussy and will take you forever from scratch, at least to do it right. The first accurate plates were made using that method. Then they mostly stopped using it, at least for getting something done, not just proving a concept. These days, there is no reason for using the three plate method for any useful reason, but rather only to prove it can be done. Instead, use an autocollimator and repeat-o-meter, along with the necessary skills, and then get on to your REAL project, whatever you want to make flat...
The problem is that I don't have access to an autocollimator or a repeat-o-meter... :grin: Wish I did!
There's not even a calibration service in East TN that I could find.
Now if I could run down to Tifton, GA and visit Keith, then maybe. . .
Or else if I was located near you guys in central CA. :cool 2: (What a weekend get-together project that would make!)

It was just a thought I had before I picked them up on Tuesday given what I have to work with.
But then after tossing them around this week. . .

How flat do they need to be for your shop? If it were me I'd be inclined to use them as-is until I came upon a project where I knew they needed to be better.

John

Last December the wife, and I spent a week in Nashville, and had a blast, I even remember most of it.....continue on....

You might start out by checking out these companies, just the start of looking at this search: "surface plate calibration east tennessee"

Strange how Google works sometimes.
I had done the almost the same syntax, but I had inputted 'East Tennessee surface plate calibration service'
Neither Optimal nor Certified showed up. J.A. King did though, they're one of the two that I submitted a request to.
Doesn't look like there are any in the Knoxville area, though there is one up near the Tri-Cities, but they don't list surface plates on their site.
Perhaps I'll get lucky and find a service out of Nashville or Chattanogga that combines trips.
Of course first, I have to get the one(s) I'm keeping mounted properly and not on a dollie.

Here's a funny one. I was checking out one service that came up in searching and here's their list:
  • Threaded Ring Gauges
  • Dial Indicators
  • Optical Comparitors
  • Snap Gauges
  • Depth Gauges
Comparitors? :confused 3:

You might start out by checking out these companies, just the start of looking at this search: "surface plate calibration east tennessee"

How did the Egyptians create giant flat one piece stones? They must have used the three rock method (Flintstones)
Or had help from ET.
There was a Youtube on the 3 plate method recently.

This had to have been a fun gathering:

Back