3 weeks into my first 3D printer

BobinOK

Registered
Registered
Bought a Monoprice Maker Select V2 mainly because of the price, at the time they had a $45.00 off sale with free shipping. So far been making mostly parts to upgrade the printer itself, Z axis supports, small tool holders etc. Did make a spider chuck spacer found on Thingiverse for my G0602 lathe that turned out well. I added the aluminum Y carriage plate, Mosfet board and have it working really well.

I am up in the air about going to a glass bed, I bought the glass and printed corner holders but the original BuildTak bed is working so well I'm afraid going to glass will just throw in another bunch of issues and stuff to deal with. Maybe I got lucky but my bed is really flat, even after heating it is whiten 0.001 at all 4 corners and in the middle. So far I have only printed with PLA but have a roll of ABS I would like to try.

My understanding that with glass one has to use hair spray or a glue stick to make stuff stick to the glass, on top of that the Z axis stop switch needs to be raised and the heated bed needs to be set 10 to 20 deg warmer to compensate for the glass. Seems to me going to glass wouldn't buy me anything but more stuff to deal with.. What am I missing?

If it ain't broke.........
But glass gives you a cheap, reliably flat smooth surface that doesn't degrade with time, just get some glass of the right thickness cut locally.
Try glass when your BuildTak reaches end of life, glass never wears out ;-)

On my printer the abs pulled pieces of glass right off the surface of 1/4" glass when it warped. Instantly junking the whole piece.

But what temperature did you have your enclosure and bed set to?

But what temperature did you have your enclosure and bed set to?

No correct obviously.
I'm just a noob at 3d printing.
And it's been quite a while since i did that.
I'm thinking I had the bed at 115 or 120 as it seemed to not get as hot as shown.
Had some cardboard for an enclosure to try to keep the heat in.
I had heard stories about abs pulling the glass apart and though to myself "that can't happen" so I was quite surprised to witness it for myself.

I had heard stories about abs pulling the glass apart and though to myself "that can't happen" so I was quite surprised to witness it for myself.

Well this is the first time I've even heard the stories!!!
Thanks for sharing this info.
That's one thing I'd like to learn vicariously!

-brino

And if you are printing anything substantial in ABS you need your enclosure temp quite high too.

And if you are printing anything substantial in ABS you need your enclosure temp quite high too.

I printed a few of these bolt/screw bins. I love these things for holding small bolts, nuts, washers, and screws.
I only got a couple of the large ones like this printed and 5 of the 4 drawer done before the printer went on strike and hasn't worked since.
You can drop these on the floor and nothing spills out. The drawers are 2 compartment and nothing spills between compartments either.
The shinny spots on the back are glass that is still stuck to it. I pried off the large pieces.

20171224_072724[1].jpg
20171224_072738[1].jpg

After doing a little more searching it looks like glass with a PEI sheet stuck to it just may be the hot ticket. Just ordered a PEI sheet with stickum stuff from Gizmo Dorks and will try it first time I try ABS.

The glass you used when you had the separation I'm going to guess was just normal window glass? What did you use for stickum? Not sure but thinking this may be one of the reasons Borosillicate glass is recommended?

Back