316 SS project

Ok, I did a little research (not much, work is extremely hectic right now) and you should use 2205 Stainless Steel (it has other names like all steels, such as, DUPLEX 2205, UNS S32205). It DOES have a higher cost. You get what you pay for right?

You paid $140 for a 5' bar of 3/16" x 3" wide, that's ROUGHLY $2.33 per inch. You can search for better prices, but on McMaster Carr a 3/16" x 3" x 6" long piece is $37.83 and based on your pics you would need 8 total = $302.64. Per inch cost is $6.31. Triple the cost per inch, however, based on your pics you could buy 8 pieces and would only double your total material cost.

So you would double your cost, but drastically compensate for your friend's negligence in maintenance and drastically increase the life of these parts compared to 316. You would still be required to passivate the parts after machining.

Whether helping a friend or doing this for someone for some extra cash, I would sell them on the better SS, not to increase profit, but to provide them with the better option that will last much longer. The corrosion resistance of 2205 is nearly double that of 316......at double the price :)

I'm not good at making money, I usually break even or lose a little bit to help people....

Thank you for looking that up, good information :encourage:

Ok, I did a little research (not much, work is extremely hectic right now) and you should use 2205 Stainless Steel (it has other names like all steels, such as, DUPLEX 2205, UNS S32205). It DOES have a higher cost. You get what you pay for right?
Reminds me of the "engineer" who spec'd a material from the ASTM manual without bothering to check if it was actually available. It was, if he was willing to buy a mill run. The best material for the job is frequently unobtanium.

I have done a very few jobs for others since I got my shop set up. If the work was business related, I charged what I felt was fair, regardless of how much time it actually took. If it was a project for a friend or neighbor, my charge is always "your undying gratitude and a favor to be named later". Having the neighbor with the backhoe in your debt can be quite valuable in an emergency. I generally make them provide their own material, showing them were to get it if necessary.

"your undying gratitude and a favor to be named later"
Ditto. Any money I would have received for doing favors would have been long gone and completely forgotten. But the favors I've received in return have been well-worth forgoing a little bit of cash. (Not to mention the learning experience from making some of the parts I've made for friends.)

Regards

Reminds me of the "engineer" who spec'd a material from the ASTM manual without bothering to check if it was actually available. It was, if he was willing to buy a mill run. The best material for the job is frequently unobtanium.

I have done a very few jobs for others since I got my shop set up. If the work was business related, I charged what I felt was fair, regardless of how much time it actually took. If it was a project for a friend or neighbor, my charge is always "your undying gratitude and a favor to be named later". Having the neighbor with the backhoe in your debt can be quite valuable in an emergency. I generally make them provide their own material, showing them were to get it if necessary.
That does sound like something an "engineer" would do lol. There were several other good options I recommended a readily available material that wasn't too expensive. I am the "anti-engineer".

I also like to do favors for future favors. Tends to save me far more money than what I would have made charging people.

Back