38special

author=Neil74 link=topic=2868.msg19897#msg19897 date=1311736304
Has anyone made a semi-automatic in 38special caliber? Would there be legal issues? and why don't they make a semi-automatic in 38special caliber?
Smith & Wesson model 52.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen that model 52 before, but just google searched for it and found some interesting reading. It seems the 5 round capacity could be a problem with todays pistols holding up to 15 rounds, and the special wadcutter ammo would need to be custom ordered. At $1400.00 for a used firearm you could own two a 9 and a 45, but it is a nice firearm.

author=Neil74 link=topic=2868.msg19949#msg19949 date=1311782356
I've seen that model 52 before, but just google searched for it and found some interesting reading. It seems the 5 round capacity could be a problem with todays pistols holding up to 15 rounds, and the special wadcutter ammo would need to be custom ordered. At $1400.00 for a used firearm you could own two a 9 and a 45, but it is a nice firearm.
.38 special wad-cutters have been a standard target load for decades. Nothing custom about them at all. (Unless it is an issue due to your location, which is???) Why would you consider a 5 round capacity to be a "problem"?

Selection of an appropriate firearm depends greatly on it's intended usage. I'm curious as to why you specify a semi-auto pistol in .38 special?

Let's take the ammo for starters. True wadcutter ammunition is a rarity these days and Sarge had to custom order it after finding out that the gun stores in his area didn't routinely carry 'specialty loads'.
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet Neil. I have never been in a gun store that didn't stock this ammunition.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...y=wadcutter&refineSearchKeyword=wadcutter

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/38-special-wadcutter-ammo

author=Neil74 link=topic=2868.msg19980#msg19980 date=1311795552
5 or 6 rounds is never a problem if you hit your target on the first and second round.
My point exactly. ;)

Unfortunately you will never find a "high capacity" semi-auto in .38 special because they just don't exist.
Perhaps it's time to move up to a more modern round.

author=Neil74 link=topic=2868.msg19897#msg19897 date=1311736304
Has anyone made a semi-automatic in 38special caliber? Would there be legal issues? and why don't they make a semi-automatic in 38special caliber?

Jim Clark of Clark Custom Guns made 1911s in 38 special for years. I do not know if his son still does today.

You had my hopes up there for a minute!!! That is a pretty good price! :eek:

Then I saw that the 2K was for the conversion on YOUR gun. The full Monty is 4K.... :(

I can not justify 2k+ to work over my 1911 where a used S&W 686 in race trim will be half that.

That's what I mean. I thought you meant they were selling the complete gun for the 2K.

I do love my 586 though... ;)

Back