3c 5v dont look like mine

nic344

Registered
Registered
I was ready to buy some new collets for my no 11 van norman mill but they don't look like the 2 that I have
yes I said 2 plus a jigged up a chuck I had but its got a little run out.not bad enough I cant practice ,but to much
to try and spline a 9 inch axle...my collets are 8 or 9 inches long they are keyed and they have a 1/2 x 13 thread on the inside they are not threaded on the outside,,, I saw one or two that looked corrfect but the majority look wrong. is there a inexpensive way to convert this head over to a more popular style or a new numbered collet I havnt found yet any help is appreciated

Might you be able to post a pic?

Daryl
MN

Looks like a shop made end mill holder and drawbar.
No shame in this!!

If you have a lathe you can make any size you'd like. The 5v collets are going nuts in price. I'd make more holders if I were you.

Regarding runout: Watch carefully how the collets/holders/chuck seat on the keyway and make sure the spindle is clear of all swarf/grime etc. My VN6 is dead on. But, if there is even a little bit of swarf, or if the collet isn't correctly seated I get .010 to .020 runout.

If you want me to measure some collets or arbors please let me know.
Meanwhile please note the attached. I've not confirmed the measurements. But, I've no doubt they are likely accurate.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure where they came from.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• Collet Drawing Van Norman Milling Machine Spindle Tooling.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I bet your collets and draw bar are shop made to work , the normal van Norman draw bar I bet is female thread to match the collets in pictures. The mill can have the spindle machined to a different style collet system . I'd make up my own if I were you . Make one to fit er40 collets and your pretty much done.

Daryl,

Those dimensions for the 5V collets and arbors on the attachment are dead on. At least, this is what I've read and been told in some very old posts on the other Forum out there.

Ken

Nic344,

Also,
Welcome to HM!!!
We sincerely look forward to your active participation on the forum.
Please be safe and keep us posted on your progress.
Perhaps tell us more about your VN11. I'd certainly like to know more about her!!

Daryl
MN

im not sure what to do I have some 5/8 diameter end mills ,a 3/4 end mill a parts bin full of 1/4 bits and various tooling,so far all ive really been able to do is practice
wich isn't a bad thing just thought ide be further along by now...
I do not have a lathe in the shop yet I have one offered to me but it needs work and im limited on space at the moment,i should probably have someone with experience
make wat I need. what would it take to make a few different size collets
as far as the no,11 goes I bought it and a grang rapids no. 62 surface grinder from a nice family in central fl.the owner had past away and I was there for the cars originally
but the 11 has naval badges on it and I was told they were built to be on a ship during the early part of the 20th century. its a chain driven mill and has 3 separate gear boxes
its a vertical and horizontal mill with old school oiling system, an thd table is around 28 inches across with automated controls, here are a few picsvan norman no 11.jpg van norman no 11 side view.jpg van norman & grand rapids 62.jpg van norman badge.jpg

Back